Backup Plan - Established Comp or New Academy

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
motion

Backup Plan - Established Comp or New Academy

Post by motion »

Hi All,

Am sure most parents will be thinking of a backup option incase DC didn't make it to a grammar school.
Most comp schools are now conducting open days, and for those with experience:

can you please suggest what to look for in a comprehensive school (non selective or free school)? League tables etc?

How would you compare an established school such as Christs College Finchley, and the new academy Archers (free school mixed) in Finchley?

Is it a 'risk' worth taking for a new academy (opened this year 2013) http://thearcheracademy.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Or stick with Christ college Finchley (boys only)?

Thanks and Kind Regards

Motion
scary mum

Re: Backup Plan - Established Comp or New Academy

Post by scary mum »

This sticky might help, although of course the whole free school thing is new.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=5&t=7611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
motion

Post by motion »

scary mum wrote:This sticky might help, although of course the whole free school thing is new.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=5&t=7611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks SC, I am also more interested on comparing the Established Comp and Brand new school

Motion
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't see how you can as the new school has no results, if that is what you want to look at! Otherwise visit both & see what you think. Don't fall for glossy sales brochures :)
scary mum
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Speak to parents of the current year 7. This school (Archer) has a head whom everyone speaks very highly of and a very motivated and committed parent body who actually set up the school. There also seems to be a strong will in Barnet council for the school to be a success.

But as scary says, you just have to visit and see what you think.
copella

Post by copella »

The difficulty with brand new schools is that the ethos has yet to be embedded and it is easy to be impressed by the shiny newness of it all. As with all schools you will need to see if what it has to offer suits your son and compare this to Christ Church. Archers is in a nice area and there is likely to be an intake of pupils with motivated parents. We have family who are also considering it. However be wary of all the promises as there are no results. The UCL school in Camden has only been open a year and opened its sixth form at the same time. The first AS level results this year were dire with many having yo retake. Perhaps the established school is the safer option.
motion

Post by motion »

Visited the school (Archer). Turnout much greater than expected over 1100 parents turn out. Barnet schools generally tend to do well. Wren was one of those new schools with a success story. Compton also is doing well since turning to academy. So at the moment we are stuck between taking our chance with Archer, then Compton, then Christ college.

Compton school seems to be doing really well in the league tables.
Any comment please?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Two warnings.
1) In my experience Comps go all out to sell themselves. So much so that I am seriously considering not taking DS (currently Year 5) to the Grammar school open days because they will be no match for the hard sell our feeder Comp starts giving the children somewhere around Year 2. Talk to people on the inside if you can, and not just the parents of Year 7s. Find out how the school is developing, see if you can find out what the neighbours think - I didn't know the half of it until I moved offices to work just down the road from DD's former school!
2) If all else appears equal choose the school that is the most oversubscribed first and then you are more likely to be able to move on if things don't work out. Remember that moving schools in Years 7, 8 or 9 (depending on when they take options) is always possible. Not ideal - but sometimes better than the alternative.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I know personally several parents of new year 7s at the Archer, and they are all extremely pleased, for various reasons. Extra help for those that need it, extra stretch for others. Caring and responsive staff, very involved committed parent body. Easy transition from primary as small number of students and no big kids.

However I can't quite bring myself to name it as our back up plan over Fortismere, ds prefers it, and the tried and tested with proven track record just tips it for me, too cautious by far! Shame because I reckon in a few years time I can see the Archer being at least as sought after. DH has been big fan from the beginning. Barnet have track record as you point out, in making new schools successful.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

P.s. You might want to try posting your question about Compton in the herts section. I don't have any experience of it but you may be more likely to find someone who does in there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now