School expansions

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

School expansions

Post by mystery »

does anyone have a link to a document which is up to date and states whether schools can increase their intake significantly without permission, or if over a certain size expansion they need permission and from whom?
Tinkers

Re: School expansions

Post by Tinkers »

I believe they can choose to take a 'bulge' class for one or two years in a row, after that they have to ask permission for a permanent expansion.
At least that seems to be what has happened around us.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks - that sort of fits with what I see in practice, but unless I misread it, I can't see anything in a quick scan of the admissions code to suggest that a school has to get permission to increase its PAN. Is there another up to date document which explains the current situation?:

I'm also wondering what the change in law in November 2010 was that the Sevenoaks grammar school campaigners refer to re. grammar school expansions?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Depends on the school's status - maintained, academy, free? We've just been expanded by one form and, as a maintained school, this had to go out to consultation via the LA. I'm assuming that academies / free schools will have more freedom with this and it will be for the Trust to decide. Our local academy secondary took over PAN this year at the request of the LA - remains to be seen if this happens again with this years in-take, but there has been no public consultation about it.

JD