Milestones

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parent2013

Milestones

Post by parent2013 »

I have seen couple of parents posting GL and First past the post questions in English/Maths forum which makes me wonder if they are introducing too much too soon.

The approach that worked perfectly for my ds is:

Oct - Dec Bond 10-11 and concept building
Jan - Feb Bond Test papers
Mar - Apr GL Test papers
May - Jun First past the post etc and vocab, nvr
July - Aug Other high level stuff

We did not do Athey, CGP, Letts & SS (don't ask me why :) )

Would like to see what other parents are doing and will really appreciate if you can share the approach (rather than just reading this post, take the info and move on)
TigerMum

Re: Milestones

Post by TigerMum »

Our (tutor based) approach:

Pre-February : occasional Bond papers
Feb - Oct : (through tutor) S&S English, AFN, CGP, Letts, First Past the Post & GL. No Bond as I recall. Also a smattering of maths and vocab games.
mystery

Post by mystery »

[quote="parent2013"]I have seen couple of parents posting GL and First past the post questions in English/Maths forum which makes me wonder if they are introducing too much too soon.

The approach that worked perfectly for my ds is:

Oct - Dec Bond 10-11 and concept building
Jan - Feb Bond Test papers
Mar - Apr GL Test papers
May - Jun First past the post etc and vocab, nvr
July - Aug Other high level stuff

We did not do Athey, CGP, Letts & SS (don't ask me why :) )"

----------------------
Thank you for sharing that. The new kent test now contains 4 subjects prepared by GL assessment. I am feeling that wading through Bond Books that are not multichoice and that contain stuff that might not tally with "GL thinking" could be, for us, not the best use of time. Also I think I am not going to get the hours of work out of my child that you achieved.

So I am considering starting quite early with the GL familiarisation papers. Although the comprehensions in them will be way too long for the new kent test, they hopefully will give us some idea of the standard.

I am thinking of starting quite soon with the papers and using them as a learning tool to point us in the direction of topics that need learning / more practice, and then do them again later in the year.

In the meantime we are doing probably a very ill thought out mix of Bond 10 to 11 maths, Schofield and SIms book 4 maths, Bond 10 to 11 English ten minute tests, and the GL assessment book "nvr explained". Child reads quite a bit. We play games very occasionally with some new vocabulary words.

Feel very in the dark. Feel prepared to get ready for a C E M paper, or the previous G L paper, but I don't know if this new kent G L paper is going to hold some mysteries or not.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

I must say this is a very useful thread. It might be difficult to keep this up because some of us are not yet this organised in terms of planning. But I am hoping that those of you who are and more importantly, those who have been on this journey, would help keep this thread alive.
mystery

Post by mystery »

TigerMum wrote:Our (tutor based) approach:

Pre-February : occasional Bond papers
Feb - Oct : (through tutor) S&S English, AFN, CGP, Letts, First Past the Post & GL. No Bond as I recall. Also a smattering of maths and vocab games.
That is a huge range of materials. For us there would be 32 GL papers alone. How did you get through all of this?
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

mystery wrote:
That is a huge range of materials. For us there would be 32 GL papers alone. How did you get through all of this?
The grammar my kids sat for only has 1 VR AND 1 NVR paper, so they didn't do maths or english practise papers.

My kids would do an average of 1 VR paper, 1 NVR paper, a comprehension and an S&S English skills paper per week, from Feb until Oct. It was less than 3 hours spread throughtout the week - I thought the tutor wasn't working them hard enough, but they'e done well in their 11+... lesson to self - be less pushy :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now