Which Schools are considered Superselective

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JSN

Re: Which Schools are considered Superselective

Post by JSN »

JSN wrote:I'd love to know what makes Altrincham Grammar School for Girls such a successful school?
You could turn that question around and ask are SS schools sitting on their hands and in fact just coasting?
if indeed they are selecting the top 5% of the national cohort they should be competing with the like of Westminister/St Pauls and I think it is fair to say they are somewhat off that level of 40% 0xbridge entry, could it be that Grammars Schools which select the top 30% ( a huge difference in the I.Q bell curve) are in fact better schools?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

No, we are just born really really clever in bucks. :wink:
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I think it is fair to say they are somewhat off that level of 40% 0xbridge entry
That's due to a lack of understanding of the Oxbridge system and the benefits of a degree from Oxford or Cambridge. Most Grammar school children end up in Russell group Universities due to a mix of choice/not knowing how to 'work' the system (this element is changing)/expectations.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most Grammar school children end up in Russell group Universities due to a mix of choice/not knowing how to 'work' the system
Perhaps they want to do degrees that are taught better elsewhere? Oxbridge is NOT the 'be all and end all'.

We only encourage those who will benefit from an Oxbridge degree to apply.
JSN

Post by JSN »

Also I think more bright working class kids do tough degrees like STEM or vocational degress like medicine or dentistry rather than the Classics or humanity based subjects for which there is less competition? thay want degrees that will allow them to climb the social ladder and get them earning?
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

My Grammar School educated nieces studied Chemistry at Durham and Applied Maths at Bristol (now doing a PhD there). They decided against Oxbridge rather than failed.....
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

DD is thinking of applying to Oxford as she "might as well" - being from a state school and predicted good grades, and after all it has an excellent reputation for her intended subject, it's just down the road and the busking's good.

I just hope they don't ask her at interview why she wants to go there! :lol:
Marylou
JSN

Post by JSN »

southbucks3 wrote:Most Grammar school children end up in Russell group Universities due to a mix of choice/not knowing how to 'work' the system
I think I know what you mean , I know top tier indie mentality well , for example if you want to do Law , what you do is some less competitive degree at Oxbride , anthropology, PPE or something and then apply to do a law degree anywhere , everyone assumes you are a Oxbridge trained Lawyer !
where as everyone knows to apply directly to do Law at Oxbridge is almost impossible to get into since hoards of super bright state kids disproportionately apply to such degrees and the competition is ferocious!
so the the smart set do any old tosh at Oxbridge as a stepping stone to better things latter since thier networks will get them that top job!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

JSN wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:Most Grammar school children end up in Russell group Universities due to a mix of choice/not knowing how to 'work' the system
I think I know what you mean , I know top tier indie mentality well , for example if you want to do Law , what you do is some less competitive degree at Oxbride , anthropology, PPE or something and then apply to do a law degree anywhere , everyone assumes you are a Oxbridge trained Lawyer !
where as everyone knows to apply directly to do Law at Oxbridge is almost impossible to get into since hoards of super bright state kids disproportionately apply to such degrees and the competition is ferocious!
so the the smart set do any old tosh at Oxbridge as a stepping stone to better things latter since thier networks will get them that top job!
I haven't a clue how you managed to attribute 2girls quote to me? I remain blissfully ignorant of the gcse/a level/uni situation and intend to stay so for at least another year. :lol: I wonder if I can sue???

JSN I doubt anthropology can be dismissed as any old tosh, I have no idea what ppe is?
Why are so many people encouraging their children to follow medicine and law? Are they chasing the pound, or is it vicarious pride? Where do all these "want to be" doctors and lawyers get jobs...the waiting times in nhs hospitals suggest not in the UK state sector, and the closed shop attitude of the law industry will continue to prevail as the select few who make it to employment protect their extortionate fees.

I think I will encourage my sons to look through the jobs sections in the broadsheets and net pages, then work backwards, when they are deciding which direction they wish to follow, although even doing this, 7 years later, when they are thrown onto the grimy pavements, who knows?

I have no idea how many kids go to Oxbridge or Russel group at my son's gs...it was simply the closest school.
JSN

Post by JSN »

have no idea whats going on with my computer! but I wait your Lawyer's letter :oops:
The point with vocational degrees like Medicine/Law/STEM degrees is that they are key degrees for social mobility, and poor but very bright kids are not stupid they target these subjects for very good reasons.
"All degrees are equal but some are more equal than others." even at Oxbridge!
unless you come from a very poor background it maybe hard to understand we had very little options or the luxury to spend yrs indulging our pleasures , poverty is a serious business, and to get to be taken seriously as a top Laywer we knew we had to get to the very top unis, this world is not of my making ,we do the best we can with the cards dealt to us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now