C e m. Weightings of verbal, non verbal, maths

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

C e m. Weightings of verbal, non verbal, maths

Post by mystery »

Does this vary from area to area and year to year? It was a high percentage of the final result in bucks this year. Do you know this before they sit the test or only with results?
Turtlegirl

Re: C e m. Weightings of verbal, non verbal, maths

Post by Turtlegirl »

It varies here in the West Midlands between the areas at the moment. Birmingham consortium changed a few years ago to standardising based on the two papers. This results in a mark which favours those with better English skills. The Walsall consortium use a three way standardised mark, based on maths, English (including VR) and NVR - the system that the Birmingham schools used previously. This results in more mathematical skills being favoured. The Birmingham score is therefore +/- 200, the Walsall one +/- 300.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

What about the 'approximate' number of qns and 'approximate' time provided for each of these 4 areas? Does anyone have an idea.

Because if we want to make up a test to simulate the paper, which would include all 4 components, ( unlike the ones available in the market which are one paper of one particular subject), we need some understanding of this.

I am sure this has come up before but I can only recall that NVR 22qns in 19minand I think. DIY MUM posted this in one of the threads.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Sorry sorry sorry
Just noticed that this is given in the exam content thread.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Warwickshire changed this year - and certainly, no-one I know, knew the change was happening! It used to be equally weighted between the three areas, Maths, VR and NVR, resulting in a score of 300+. This obviously helped more mathematical brains as Maths and NVR are mathematical. This year, seemingly with no notice, it changed so that the scores for NVR and Maths were averaged, accounting for a total 50% and the English made up the other 50%. This resulted in a 200+ score. The CEM in Warwickshire is administered from the University of Durham. It appears that Warks and B'ham may combine and have one test and the results of this year make this more likely.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There might be more news about the Warwickshire exam later this week. The council meeting which should approve the admissions arrangements is on Thursday.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've heard from a tutor who apparently has a reliable source that the test - in 2015 - for Brum and Warks will be in July as they already do with Wolves and Shropshire. Anyone else heard anything similar?