Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Post by southbucks3 »

tiffinboys wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:
Brilliant, don't know why they did not think of it before.
May be because we live in democracy; not in North Korea. :wink:
Well yes obviously, because those that didn't like the state school based on this pared down curriculum could democratically choose to pay to have their child educated privately.
I have only described a typical bucks upper (except school trips, which are madly exotic even there), basically the Tatler brigade would not be seen dead at the gates of my local upper, but are happy to send their children to at least four of the grammars!
The tweaking I have suggested has no bearing on academics at all...even the Latin, which my son does btw, is seen as a bit of a joke at local state primary school gates, the whole ethos is different at grammars, but why? What has any of that got to do with passing an academic test at 10? There is no character interview, no easy way in for rugby stars, no musical breaks, so why is there such a differentiation?
Well the hundreds of thousands donated by satisfied affluent parents, getting "more bang for no bucks" helps with extra curriculum and keeps the parquet polished for sure, on the unwritten understanding that a football will not be kicked in the name of the school, and a twice yearly musical triumph will be delivered with gusto :wink:
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

The absolute tosh in that article, and the poor quality of the journalism (...lovely name, lovely school...) has actually made me appreciate Ofsted inspections!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Fatnorville wrote:The absolute tosh in that article, and the poor quality of the journalism (...lovely name, lovely school...) has actually made me appreciate Ofsted inspections!
But surely you choose a school because of its delightful schoolgate crowd of supermums, or yummy mummies at the gate, or because the children skip off to their fencing lessons!
Who needs ofsted, when they can only offer us shining beacons?

I indulged in reading Tatler at the hairdressers recently, brilliant stuff, I did not recognise a single person or place in the whole rag, but the people wore very nice clothes.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"I indulged in reading Tatler at the hairdressers recently, brilliant stuff, I did not recognise a single person or place in the whole rag, but the people wore very nice clothes."

I'll have you know, Tatler is cut from the finest Egyptian cotton, not some tatty old rag.... :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Can anyone point me to the section on the secondary schools. I have read the primary schools section. Thanks DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Daogroupie wrote:Can anyone point me to the section on the secondary schools. I have read the primary schools section. Thanks DG
From my (very brief) look, I don't think that bit is published yet - still to come? I could be wrong though, it was a very brief look. I thought the article was poorly written and just plain silly.
scary mum
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Daogroupie wrote:Can anyone point me to the section on the secondary schools. I have read the primary schools section. Thanks DG
Isn't the idea that we all have to buy Tatler to find out :lol:
Fantastic marketing ...

(Or visit SB3's hairdresser ...)

JD
copella

Post by copella »

Hopefully having read the link on primary schools no one will want to buy the tatler for their opinion on secondary schools. What utter tosh. Seems they base their opinions on how desireable the school is and how 'cool' it would be to send your DC to them. Rubbish, save your money or pm SB3 and ask her where her hairdresser is.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It seems that some parents locally (Skipton) know that Ermysted's is in the secondary school list.

Presumably they must have bought Tatler to see that. :? maybe that is why the school is in the list :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

SB3 I'm in the same area as you, could you tell me which hairdresser you use in which town/village? Think your hairdresser might do better out of this than Tatler :lol:

It is a rather lightweight piece, I agree, but equally bear in mind that most of us here are more interested (and more knowledgeable?) than the average member of the public when it comes to education.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now