Financial Time School Ranks

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

d2001

Financial Time School Ranks

Post by d2001 »

hi all

I'm using the FT school rankings for selecting schools for my boy. FT has rankings up to 2011. Anyone know why they have no school rankings for 2012 or even 2013??

dp
Ladymuck

Re: Financial Time School Ranks

Post by Ladymuck »

A lot of the top independent schools withdrew from the league table, and once you're missing Eton, Win Coll etc, the rest becomes a bit meaningless to be honest.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ladymuck, why do you assume the poster is looking at Private schools?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Presumably using league tables to choose a school implies either that one has a large choice, and is looking at the independent sector, or is willing and able to move to be close to a school which by the measures applied by league tables appears to be a good one.

Remember though - any league table needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt - probably one large enough to induce vomiting, which is a healthy reaction to something fundamentally 'bad'. :wink:
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Guest55, I didn't assume that, I gave the reason as to why the FT stopped publishing their ranking. As far as I am aware there is masses of published data on maintained schools, but the FT ranking was one which looked at the indie sector as well. Once they were asked to exclude half of the Top 20 indie schools, the task became less meaningful.
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

Ladymuck wrote:Guest55, I didn't assume that, I gave the reason as to why the FT stopped publishing their ranking. As far as I am aware there is masses of published data on maintained schools, but the FT ranking was one which looked at the indie sector as well. Once they were asked to exclude half of the Top 20 indie schools, the task became less meaningful.
I seem to remember Colchester Royal GS came out better than Eton one year. Presumably that's why the public schools dropped out - very poor value for money?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

don't forget Harrow on the mound....also 'dropped' out of the list.
d2001

Post by d2001 »

It's a real shame as I found the FT ranking very useful. Rankings from other papers dont seem to do the trick for me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now