How much time tutoring ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: How much time tutoring ?

Post by southbucks3 »

I think the last 6 weeks summer term are very crucial to the whole preparation and should be effectively used to shoot up the confidence.
I agree, which is why it really annoys me that this crucial six weeks in our state primary is filled with so many non academic pursuits that not only do they not have their work refreshed in their mind, but they actually regress...leaving parents to pick up the pieces in the evenings and holiday....effectively becoming "bad cop". I was not alone in my objections, in fact everyone I know at the school moaned about it, but I bet it will not change this year!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Daffodil3969 wrote:My son had 1 hour a week tuition, (15 minutes a week school homework!!!) for 16 weeks prior to the exam. For a month before the exam he did, say, 3 papers a week of 11plus topics. Some parents on this website do an incredible amount of prep, some children are heavily coached and I suspect there are lots of kids going off to GS who without a huge amount of input would not have made it, and then you have to wonder whether it is the right school for them.

If I had my time again I would have concentrated more on relaxing and de stressing as he was always going to be able to pass academically, it was panic and unfamiliarity that "did for him" on the day ! (he did pass though!)
Rarely hear of anyone leaving GS because they were heavily coached to get in and then couldn't cope. I think this is a misnomer that has built up from the whole 'to coach or not to coach' thing, esp with those who claim not to coach much actually doing lots in the background and just not admitting it! Think any child who achieves the marks is deservedly going to GS.
For my part, coaching was 30 min tutor per week, half an hour homework each weekday, nothing on weekends, for sept to sept year 5. Last week to exam absolutely NOTHING.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

For North London indie exam, I did 3-4 past papers in the summer then 1/2 bond book on NVR and VR each as well as the sections of my maths textbook I struggled with (maths is definitely one of my weaker subjects) in the xmas hols. Last few weeks to exam I had chickenpox and only came back to school a few days before!

I would suggest looking at your child's strongest and weakest subjects and adjusting your tutoring schedule accordingly. Try not to put too much pressure on them as this can have negative effects. Level 4 in Year 4 sounds good, while I didn't do SATS I know this is average for an 11 year old so your DD is ahead of herself. I wish you all the best :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Level 4 at eleven is average for eleven years old over the country. It certainly would not be average for eleven year olds taking eleven plus entrance exams and of course eleven year olds in prep schools are of course prepping every day in school. There willl be students at Level 6 who will not get into any selective school as they have not prepared with the correct material. DG
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Daogroupie wrote:Level 4 at eleven is average for eleven years old over the country. It certainly would not be average for eleven year olds taking eleven plus entrance exams and of course eleven year olds in prep schools are of course prepping every day in school. There willl be students at Level 6 who will not get into any selective school as they have not prepared with the correct material. DG
The above is true, but the child mentioned above who is currently attaining a level 4, is in year 4 - which is 8/9 years old and therefore is surpassing the average for their age.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

How accurate are the school levels. I saw the school and external tuition levels can vary a lot.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes , surpassing the average for their age but not the average for those who are planning to sit entrance exams at the end of Year Five. Those students will need to be Level 4 in Year 4 in order to be able to get to high Level Fives in Year Five. DG
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Daogroupie wrote:Yes , surpassing the average for their age but not the average for those who are planning to sit entrance exams at the end of Year Five. Those students will need to be Level 4 in Year 4 in order to be able to get to high Level Fives in Year Five. DG
DG, Do they need to have level 4 in all three (reading, writing and maths) ? How is the English/Literacy level calculated ? e.g.. if a DC has 4b in reading and 3b in writing what would the overall Literacy level be ?
childrenanddogs

Post by childrenanddogs »

berks_mum wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Yes , surpassing the average for their age but not the average for those who are planning to sit entrance exams at the end of Year Five. Those students will need to be Level 4 in Year 4 in order to be able to get to high Level Fives in Year Five. DG
DG, Do they need to have level 4 in all three (reading, writing and maths) ? How is the English/Literacy level calculated ? e.g.. if a DC has 4b in reading and 3b in writing what would the overall Literacy level be ?
I've no idea how it would equate to a level for Literacy, but if it helps, our school won't recommend a child for our local grammars (Kendrick and Reading Boys - which judging by your username, you may know of!) unless they're Level 5 in all subjects by Year 5. That's what they use as a guide, although obviously it's up to individual parents as to whether or not their children should sit the exam.

Our daughter is currently in Yr4 and Levels 4a, the school has suggested she may suit a grammar school, but we'll see how she does next year. Each year, our school will usually only recommend 2 or 3 children from each class sit the exam apparently!

HTH.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

childrenanddogs wrote:
berks_mum wrote:
I've no idea how it would equate to a level for Literacy, but if it helps, our school won't recommend a child for our local grammars (Kendrick and Reading Boys - which judging by your username, you may know of!) unless they're Level 5 in all subjects by Year 5. That's what they use as a guide, although obviously it's up to individual parents as to whether or not their children should sit the exam.

Our daughter is currently in Yr4 and Levels 4a, the school has suggested she may suit a grammar school, but we'll see how she does next year. Each year, our school will usually only recommend 2 or 3 children from each class sit the exam apparently!

HTH.

C&D, thank you for your post. My question was purely for level calculations as I was reading in one of the appeals thread that a DC was not allowed to sit 12+ (or 13+) because they had level 5 in numeracy and reading but not in writing. I thought they considered overall Literacy level (DFE website) hence the clarification i.e if level 5 is achieved in reading but not writing then will the overall grade fall to 4 or rise to 5 (with sub levels in consideration) - in Yr5. Similarly, for level 4s in Yr 4.

I would not bother much about the school recommendation as children develop at different rates. Many children have growth spurts at any time during their primary years (may be secondary as well). There are several messages here about how school recommendations were incorrect. If you think your DD can suit GS and she is willing to work for the exam/later on then that should be fine, IMO.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now