CAT testing

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bob1892

CAT testing

Post by Bob1892 »

Hi
I'm trying to search for cat tests - cognitive ability tests - but it seems only schools are allowed to purchase such tests. Mainly looking for tests for 9-12 year olds. Anyone have any inside knowledge on where I can get hold of some?
Thanks
Bob
scary mum

Re: CAT TESTING

Post by scary mum »

They are not available. Why would you want them anyway? The whole point is that they are not supposed to be practiced?
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

There are no published cat tests.

The primary schools use them to assist in ensuring the children are working at the same level as their cognitive ability and not allowing other motives to distract them. They can then cross check natural ability against what is happening in the class room, and make adjustments or help more as required. My little man for example always does rather well in cats, but is a bit of a day dreamer in class, the results from year 4 and 5 have shown the teachers that it is ok to push him a little bit harder. The tests would also help show the opposite...lots of class effort masking a natural struggle with quantitative ability for example, it can be hard for a child like this to maintain that level of effort in class without getting stressed.
There are plenty of other uses for cats too, so it is always best just to let children sit them blind and see what happens. A big dive in cats tests can also indicate something physically wrong, that again a child may have been able to mask in class up to a point.

Best all round to let them just turn up and sit it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There would be no point to Cats tests if they could be bought by parents. They are to test at what level a student is at this point. If the student could do the tests at home then the result at school would not mean anything. They are just VR. NVR and Maths tests. So just buy some material for those three subjects in the right age group from Smiths if you want your dc to make progress in those three areas. DG