Teacher's Strike

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parent2013

Teacher's Strike

Post by parent2013 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26729786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if they are really bothered about gearing children for the 11 plus. May be that's why parents prefer to DIY or get private tutors who are more reliable.
hermanmunster

Re: Teacher's Strike

Post by hermanmunster »

I am not sure that this has anything to do with the 11plus!

Most schools don't prep for it anyway.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

parent2013 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26729786

I wonder if they are really bothered about gearing children for the 11 plus. May be that's why parents prefer to DIY or get private tutors who are more reliable.
What an incredibly short sighted view! Teachers are there for every child, not just those that are doing the 11+ and, as hermanmunster says, most state primaries have nothing to do with prep for 11+ anyway. The strike is for both primary and secondary schools - certainly secondary school teachers are nothing to do with 11+!! In both the schools my dc attend, primary and secondary, the schools are still open and the majority of teachers who had the option to strike have decided not to, for the good of the children. Whether or not you believe in strike action, it is an individual teacher's right and is only done as a matter of last resort. Having witnessed the type of pressure teachers are under, which has been increasing expedentially in recent years, I am genuinely surprised that more of them do not walk out. Particularly when faced with ill thought out comments like yours.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If this strike is about headteachers having more say in whether individual teachers progress up the pay scale or not (is it?) then this would have me, a non-striker, striking. I joined a pathetic non-strike union as I hate the idea of teachers striking. However, having met a lot of headteachers in my lifetime I would say there are quite a few who are not skilled at deciding whether a teacher is good or not (and why would the inexperienced head of a small primary school, for example, be skilled at this) and others are downright evil to teaching staff who are too expensive or whose faces don't fit in some way.

Is this what the strike is about? And how much control over pay do the proposals give to headteachers? Being able to give a small bonus for performance seems fine - and is normal in a lot of workplaces these days so why not in schools too - but if it involves too much control over a teacher's progression I would be worried too.

Now that the measurement of progress in primary schools is going very fuzzy with the abolition of NC levels it seems even more open to favouritism etc.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Does any one know what are the exact demands by NUT and offer by the Government?
And since when these demands have been raised?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Ms Blower (NUT's General Secretary)said the union would go back to the talk after this strike.
If NUT want to go back to the talk, then why all this disruption?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

I don't remember the teachers' strikes in the 80s having a detrimental effect on my education.

Both my DCren's schools are partially open (for the higher years in both Primary and the Secondary.) This may be because the school are prioritising their education or it could be that they realise that keeping younger ones at home will cause more inconvenience for parents and their workplaces.

In either case - I approve :wink:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

tiffinboys wrote:
Ms Blower (NUT's General Secretary)said the union would go back to the talk after this strike.
If NUT want to go back to the talk, then why all this disruption?
They called off a strike before Christmas after Gove agreed he would meet with them. This meeting didn't happen after all as far as I know.

My DDs school is fully open. I support the teachers though.

The problem with the performance related pay is that there is only so much money in the pot for teachers salaries. At the moment, most teachers will happily share resources, best practises, ideas etc, with others for the good of all, kids and teachers alike. However of you are in competition for the dribs and drabs of money available, are you really going to be as willing to share with others in the same way. If there was money there to reward all teachers appropriately without the need to stick to an overall salary budget, it might be different.

Teachers amongst you please feel free to correct me if my understanding of the issue is wrong, but that's how a teacher explained it to me last year.

Of course performance pay isn't the only issue either.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If some one wants to negotiate, what is the point in striking? It is different if government is refusing to talk or negotiate.

It is fine if teachers do not want performance related pay. Perhaps whole school may be judged for such payments. All share the pool or none get it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't really understand the details of it. I don't know if it is true PRP involving a bonus pool each year to be share out according to great things having been achieved by individuals, or if headteachers can prevent teachers progressing up the payscales.

Think we need a teacher to explain. Trouble is, sometimes different people strike for different reasons.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now