Impromptu speaking

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummmy

Impromptu speaking

Post by mummmy »

Hi- I wonder if you can help! My DS is 11years old and very confident in reciting poem and reading out loud in public. However when asked about his opinion his answers are mostly monosyllables or disorganised. How can I help him to improve his impromptu speaking please?
parent2013

Re: Impromptu speaking

Post by parent2013 »

Is this required to be tested in 11 Plus (within your region) or you want to improve just as an overall development?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My children have all done drama as an after school club, I love the confidence it gives them. Also we have always talked a lot in the car, at dinner, walking the dog etc.. Ask lots of open ended questions and encourage them to express their opinions. Also google 'reflective listening' it helps with all sorts of things.

There are days when I'm not so keen on their abilities to express themselves, it makes for a lively house, especially at mealtimes! I do often now have to remind them 'two ears one mouth' :)
mummmy

Post by mummmy »

Thanks so much for your replies.
Parent 2013-just overall development
Red Velvet-My DS does drama very well- but only when I ask him anything he is not interested! Dont know whether thats the reflection of me working long hours and hardly spending quality time :cry: I have started asking open ended questions and opinions. I will definitely google reflective listening.Thanks ver much.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Quality not quantity mummmy. :) The work/home balance is always tricky. Some mornings as I'm heading off to work there's less reflective listening and more baking orders!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

My DS does drama very well- but only when I ask him anything he is not interested!
Sounds like a perfectly normal parent/child relationship to me! I wouldn't worry too much if he's chatty in other circumstances, just make the most of the few times when he opens up of his own accord.

It will get better over time!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now