Today's the day

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

The thought of phoning the LEA for the result scares the life out of me!
Bad enough opening the letter. I should imagine it would be a real anti-climax if your child didn't get in. Atleast with a letter you can look at it over and over again and really be sure of the result.
Good luck everyone for tomorrow :)
KenR

Today is the day - after all

Post by KenR »

I did manage to get the results after - I remembered that I had applied online, so I sent an email and requested email results.

I got an email back at about 2pm with the news that my son had got into his 2nd choice Birmingham Foundation Grammar (Five Ways) - we really wanted Camp Hill. He's on the waiting list for this school.

Apparently Worcester (as with any non local LEA) have no further information about marks or length of waiting list - all they get is a school name that your child has been accepted for. You have to go to the School Admissions Office to get the details

After a few phone calls I found out hat he's about 2 marks short at a score of about 350 (they wouldn't give actual figures till tomorrow as Birmingham LEA post these out tonight).

So know we have to decide what to do - and wait some more. He has been offered places with scholarships at a couple of independent schools.

The wait goes on.
Connie

Results

Post by Connie »

I am quite envious of all those parents who have had results today. We are still waiting in Essex. Why is it called National Allocations Day? If some parents do not get results. Well done to those who have got a place and to those that did not get one, at least they gave it a go. Good luck to all of those who are getting results tomorrow or Friday. Thank You elevenplusexams for this excellent website.
Connie

Results

Post by Connie »

I am quite envious of all those parents who have had results today. We are still waiting in Essex. Why is it called National Allocations Day? If some parents do not get results. Well done to those who have got a place and to those that did not get one, at least they gave it a go. Good luck to all of those who are getting results tomorrow or Friday. Thank You elevenplusexams for this excellent website.
sooetie

Who opened the letter

Post by sooetie »

I know what you mean Connie - my son was expecting the letter today - he made one offhand comment - was there any post today?

To those that have the results - did you open the letter or allow your child to? I can't remember when my results came, I've a feeling my mum did. Those were the days when things weren't quite so complicated - 34 years ago!

Best wishes to all
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi KenR,

I am sorry to hear that your son didn't get his first choice. Does he still have a chance, and can he keep his offer whilst being on the waiting list for his favorite school?

Catherine
KenR

To Catherine from Ken

Post by KenR »

Hi Catherine,

I think I can keep him on the waiting list whilst accepting another place, the problem is that I don't know the procedure. This is because my local LEA (Worcester) just acts as a message boy for Birmingham- they only give you the name of school your child has been offered with no other info. I need to speak to Birmingham today and find out the procedures.

The problem for us is that the 2nd choice is an Independent School, not the 2nd choice Grammar offered by the LEA, and we have to reply to them by the 10th March and accept or decline the offer. If he's on the waiting list for our 1st choice I guess we won't know for several weeks yet. This probably means we have to commit to 1 terms fees if we subsequently decline the place.

As with another contributor to the forum mention, it looks as though I could be working well after normal retirement age!

Regards
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear ALL

Wish that Beep postman would get a Beep move on.....

I am desparate to hear your news.

Patricia
SAD

Post by SAD »

patricia wrote:Dear ALL

Patricia
Tell me about it Patricia - mine doesn't get here till lunchtime somedays - I won't have any fingernails left!
SAD

Post by SAD »

patricia wrote:Dear ALL

Patricia
Tell me about it Patricia - mine doesn't get here till lunchtime somedays - I won't have any fingernails left!