Tutor does not allow to sit on the lessons?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bnp24

Tutor does not allow to sit on the lessons?

Post by bnp24 »

DS will just turn 9 soon. Would you be fine with leaving your child with a tutor on their own? Tutor is female, dbs checked but doesn't fancy me even being in the house. I asked if I can stay on one or two lessons, was told I was welcome on the first one only. My issue is how is how do I know if my child is being taught well, also by sitting on the lessons I'd know better what to work on, not to mention safeguarding issue or is this a standard practice?
mad?

Re: Tutor does not allow to sit on the lessons?

Post by mad? »

This is standard practise. Your DC will learn better without you there tbh (I know that sounds tough but it is what you are paying for). You should not need to know what to work on - the tutor should do that - but if you are concerned just ask if there is anything extra you can do. As for safeguarding you have to go with your gut, having taken the necessary precautions - as you seem to have done. In terms of knowing if they are being taught well - you would not necessarily know this by being there either, unless you yourself are an expert. Again, go with your gut, and listen to what DC says when you ask them about how it went. Good tutors work with parents, but not in their presence.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now