CEM help - keeping on the right track

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: CEM help - keeping on the right track

Post by tiffinboys »

from my personal experience the mocks are harder, esp the tuition centre ones. I think they want parents to panic and buy more of their books or online tests!
+1

Mocks are good for experiencing exam conditions, though.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I agree tiffinboys. It was helpful in that sense.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Poonkymonkey wrote:Gosh! Thanks so much, I thought we weren't doing enough. She is very bright, top of her class at school. She normally takes about an hour to do all the work.

It's just that the mocks seem to be so much harder than the CGP CEM papers. She was getting 99% in them and then in the mock she was average. I thought the CGP papers were the closest thing to the actual 11+? Are the mocks then made out to be harder than the actual test? So many questions! :shock:

I will probably do less of the VR/NVR, and get her to concentrate on her vocab, ie reading books, its just getting her to read the 'right' books. I'll also get her to look at Maths on target and focus on that.

It's just so confusing. Feeling exasperated...
I don't think you've got anything to worry about if your daughter is getting 99%. Have you tried the mixed test CGF tests with the very strict timings, they are slightly harder than the individual tests, also Bond are doing CEM tests too
Poonkymonkey

Post by Poonkymonkey »

Thanks. I'll try those tests out. I've got the Bond CEM tests already, but was going to start them during the summer holidays. She is also going for the CSSE tests as well, but they don't tend to have mocks with them, so I've got some past papers and go through them with her during the holidays as well.

Phew. I've learned to calm down a little, thank you for your comments.

Good luck to everybody. Just can't wait for it all to be over!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Poonkymonkey wrote:Thanks. I'll try those tests out. I've got the Bond CEM tests already, but was going to start them during the summer holidays. She is also going for the CSSE tests as well, but they don't tend to have mocks with them, so I've got some past papers and go through them with her during the holidays as well.

Phew. I've learned to calm down a little, thank you for your comments.

Good luck to everybody. Just can't wait for it all to be over!
As a matter of interest what schools are you aiming for as we are doing the CEM and CSSE too
Poonkymonkey

Post by Poonkymonkey »

We're going for Woodford, Chelmsford, Westcliff and Southend.

Best of luck to everyone.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Funnily enough my ds did very badly indeed in a one-off mock at a tuition centre. They did think, however, that he would improve a lot if we paid £200 for some intensive training. Hmm :wink:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

My ds1 did badly 40 -50% in his mock but he passed his Bucks CEM and he didnt just scrape through (which is what I was worried about).

Take the mock with a pinch of salt, its good for experience.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

MamaBear wrote:My ds1 did badly 40 -50% in his mock but he passed his Bucks CEM and he didnt just scrape through (which is what I was worried about).

Take the mock with a pinch of salt, its good for experience.
Fab mamabear - thanks for that. He got something like 50%, 51%, 52% and 66% and I was losing hope! Well done to your ds by the way.
Poonkymonkey

Post by Poonkymonkey »

Thats exactly what she got! It gives me some hope then.

Congrats for getting in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now