It comes to something when...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: It comes to something when...

Post by mystery »

Amber wrote:Ah no indeed Yamin; there are lots of reasons for it and we have used the private sector too. My point in posting was mainly to say that Toby Young of all people has read a report carefully enough to critique it in this way and draw media attention to it. I had never even considered that people choosing independent schools would do so because of trying to get more highly paid jobs for their children. All this shows is the error of their thinking if that is their motivation.

My other reason for posting it was to show that even Mr Young is aware of a social justice angle and the need to improve all schools. This is a bit of a shock as when I have been in the same room as that man this side of his character has not always come across, shall we say?
His educational background and role in setting up a free school all point to the part of him you failed to spot.

I don't think it is that bad if people think by choosing the right school their child might earn more than if they send them to the wrong school. I think the less comfortably off a person is the more tempting this might be - and conversely some very well off May think this way too. It's not my way of thinking but there's a lot worse.

Maybe I am just getting old but nothing surprises me .... Apart from it being ok to call someone exasperating on here! :wink:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I am positive it is superb and hope the £15k a year some of the parents have saved in school fees, is held back from their child's trust fund and donated to truly wonderful charitable causes.
No evidence of trust funds. Most are unable to cough up even £520 annual 'voluntary donation'.
Apart from it being ok to call someone exasperating on here! :wink:
Don't worry. Getting used to such jibes from some anti-grammars with grammar places. :wink:
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Can we get back on track and stop "little digs" at each other, however allegedly light-hearted they are
kateJ

Post by kateJ »

Amber wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:I agree with what is in the article. However, he was dealing with the issue of 'packing bright children to private schools'. Not to grammars. They are also the state school. :wink:
You are exasperating, tiffinboys. No one said he was talking about grammar schools. The article is about wasting money paying for education and he also mentions the issue of selection.

I am sure he thinks Tiffin is wonderful, as we all do, don't we everyone? Sigh.
Is this extremely sarcastic post absolutely necessary - and in the generous, polite spirit of this forum?

As you said yesterday Amber - remember we are all people on here.

And with that in mind we deserve respect.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Please ignore. Amber was really really in light hearted mode. She has been giving some very valuable opinion and advise on many other issues and many of which, I agree too. Except for the need of grammars at present.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

tiffinboys - off topic again ... no-one wants this thread derailed.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Ah. :oops: :oops: :oops:

(hope this is not off topic).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Let's accept apologies all round and get back on topic now, please
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have a story of three sisters, which I have tweaked slightly to protect their identity.

They were brought up in a very large house in a very posh area of London.
The two older sisters went to independent school and one became a lawyer and one a doctor.
The third daughter desperately wanted to go to the local comp, she still does not really understand why, she had no friends going there, she had been to prep, it wasn't easy bring posh, but she stuck at it.
Her parents respected her desires and off she trotted, she became a teacher.

Now her parents had invested in a lock up garage near their house, on her behalf, to rent out the day parking and store stuff. The garage was bought in her name, with school fee money.
She still has the garage, she plans to retire young! :lol:

Her sisters no longer live in the country, probably could not bare to see the smug look on baby sisters face.

You have to choose the best course of action for your own child, if that means private school for whatever reason so be it, but it won't guarantee success, any more than grammar. The most important consideration is the child being at least comfortable, if not gloriously happy, (not normal) with their environment for 7 years of long days, wherever that may be.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Great story. Wise parents. All well if it ends well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now