Post your child's school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Can see the glow from Bucks over here in Herts, thought it was just the sunset :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HP
KenR

KenR to HP

Post by KenR »

HP

I think you have fantastic attitude - I am full of admiration.

You must make sure you think of the positive, there are many.

I am aware of a belief amongst many academics that Oxbridge and Russell group Universities are moving towards positive descrimination against selective grammars and towards non selective schools. This could well work in your son's favour in later years.

I am an 11+ failure myself who made good in higher eduaction and Research in the end. I was not alone, many outstanding scientist friends of mine were also failures - the 11+ system doesn't suit all children - in many cases some children are just not ready for high pressure exams despite tutoring.

Good luck for the future.
Good luck for the
Jess

Post by Jess »

Sally-Anne
I am going to add to your blushes! Totally endorse what HP said. I was only thinking today whilst following the forum that you must be a really nice person because you are so supportive and compassionate in all your posts.
This is all the more striking given that you have not (so far) got the result you were hoping for for your child.
If success in an exam could be guaranteed by good wishes alone, your son would breeze the 12+, because I'm sure that everyone on this forum is willing it to happen.
You're enough to restore one's faith in human nature. Thanks.

Jess
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Congratulations to everyone! There seem to seem some very happy people here today.

To those whose news was not so happy, please remember we are all thinking of you. It could so easily have been any of us and it seems tht to some extent it is a lottery on the day.

My thoughts are with you what ever your outcome.

:?
Essex Girl

Congratulations

Post by Essex Girl »

Just wanted to add my congratulations to all those who got the choices they wanted and commiserations to all those who didn't.

I feel I have to say, though, that while it is quite fantastic to see so many good news articles there are very few items on less good news.

I hope that some people reading this might feel that they can join in the conversations here and tell us how they feel about things because this forum is, of course to help 11+ takers and their parents, whether they get into their chosen schools or not.

There will probably be people reading this forum who have a child who has not got the desired place who, whilst wishing good luck to all others, may be feeling really depressed and get the view from this forum that almost everyone else has got the coverted grammar school place.

We all know, whatever 11+ area we live in that this is not the case and that most children do not, in fact, get a place so if there is anybody out there who feels they can share their feels of sadness (you can't always share them with your family can you?) then please do so.

Personally, I will come back and try to offer advice wherever possible because, as I have said before, I have felt both the elation of success and the misery of non success.

Yes, you have probably noted my wish not to use the words "pass" or "fail" or "failure".

All the children who took the exam this year (and those parents who did the preparation themselves) should feel really proud that they have made a real effort and not forget that this effort will be useful because they will start secondary school, whether grammar, comprehensive or secondary modern with a better ability than they would have done if they had not prepared for this exam.

The 11+ system is floored. Let us all admit it. It is an exam which is geared to the children of the "better educated" and no way reflects the inate abilities of all children across all classes and cultural and geographical divides. Nevertheless, it is a system which we have in place and which is, it seems, likely to be with us for the foreseeable and it will, whatever the background of the parents and the previous education of the child, be a horrendous and highly stressful experience.

Well done everybody for putting yourselves through this agony and to those who have to do it again, I'm sorry, but it gets worse each time.

May all you parents out there go and have a glass of your favourite tipple and raise a toast to the efforts of your children and to celebrate the end of the pain, this time.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Essex Girl

Thank you for putting that so well. I wanted to say the same thing yesterday, but I was distracted by all the new posts on so many subjects.

I have posted elsewhere that our son is looking forward to an assault on the 12+. This is not a great system, and above all a failure at 11+ does not mean that a child's whole future is lost. My son is positive, not fazed by his schoolmates moving on to grammar schools and has been supported by us and his teachers whenever the chance arises.

I was very worried about the parents who might be getting bad news - as we did on results and appeal. It can be so intimidating to see everyone else celebrating when you are in the depths of despair. I do hope that anyone who feels that way can post on this forum. I know that they will get the wonderful suport that I and many others also found.

Sally-Anne
Connie

Results at Last

Post by Connie »

Not sure if you are aware but hundreds of letters have gone 'missing' in Essex and one of them was ours. After what has been two very stressful days our LEA took pity on us and gave us the result. They were very understanding and said that they understood how stressed we were as everyone we knew had their result.

The fantastic news is that our son got offered Westcliff Grammar school. We are so proud of him and his achievement as you need a high pass mark if you are out of catchment, which we are. He was not tutored but his school was fantastic in the way they prepared the children. Also their advice on activities outside of school was right. Do not stop these in favour of studying. Excellent advice and believe me your child can do both.

If you live in Essex and still do not the result then the LEA will give you a copy of your letter on Monday. Good luck to everyone still waiting. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I have found reading about the allocation offers quite overwheming in a positive or negative way, and am just offering my best wishes to everyone, whether they got what they wanted or not.
Many will have secured a place in their second choice school, and are happy that it is a good school where their child is going to perform well. And not all good schools are grammar schools!
If your child is offered a place in a school that you don't think is suitable, then keep fighting and appealling. The BBC website education section have a few articles about it.
The school is an improtant ingredient in a child education but the parents support is essential. All the parents that have posted here have shown so much concern for their children future that in no doubt they will offer enough support in any circumstance to insure their success.

All the best

Catherine
Essex Girl

Missing results

Post by Essex Girl »

How very typical of Essex, Connie. When the consortium dealt with the allocations of grammar school places as well as the exam (before the 2005 centralisation) things were fine. The Government just had to interfer, as usual and Essex seems to be one of the worst hit with problems two years running.

To those of you considering appealing, I would just say that it is an interesting system because it is meant to be non-biased and based purely on individual appeals for each child. Believe you me, it isn't. I can't go into detail here for but I was to be able to tell you my story on appeal, in depth, I know you would see exactly what I am talking about.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

HP and all

I thought you might like to see this snippet from a post I left on another thread:

" ..... I burned the letter whilst thinking of everyone on this forum and muttering a few carefully chosen words about the LEA! Very cathartic, I must say. :lol: My husband came home, saw the reply form and asked to see the letter. He gave me a very odd look when I told him where it was. I like to think that it contributes to the mystery of women when I do things like that! "

Just so you know that I live up to my promises! Thank you for all your kind words, especially HP & Jess.

Sally-Anne