Victorian Exam System?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Victorian Exam System?

Post by mystery »

Goodness knows.

http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/index/index-ranking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look like our Victorian system is too bad by this measure.
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=37491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anything with the word 'Pearson' in it needs to be taken with an emetic-sized pinch of salt.

Most developed countries don't give 16 year olds exams, Silverysea; and those that do tend to make them into a school leaving certificate exam which is made up of compulsory subjects rather than pick-and-choose high stakes exams.

'Evidence' these days consists of league table-style lists like the one above and like PISA, PIAAC and TIMSS - quickly digested s -exy data which politicians and the media can translate into ready soundbites like this BBC one, whose message you will quickly see does not support the same organisation's reporting of the Pearson report above:Pisa tests: UK stagnates as Shanghai tops league table ( 3.12.13)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, most stuff relating to education is political twaddle of one form or another, so where does one turn to in order to find out if our pick and mix "victorian" gcse exams at 16 are any better or worse than any other country's system? How can there ever be any reliable evidence about which is better - it all depends what you want and then how you measure if you have got it or not?
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Yep, most stuff relating to education is political twaddle of one form or another, so where does one turn to in order to find out if our pick and mix "victorian" gcse exams at 16 are any better or worse than any other country's system?
One turns, mystery, to people like me. :wink: :lol: :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

One turns, mystery, to people like me. :wink: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol:

Show us then Amber!
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Show us then Amber!
If you haven't got my message by now mystery, you will have to wait for the book. I will let you have a signed copy. :lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you - that would be good. But on what evidence will it base the conclusion that Finland and your house provide the best educations in the developed world today?

I do believe you - but before I put my children on a train to your place or a plane to Finland I may have to convince some others.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Ah, don't be so demanding mystery. :wink:
Just wait for the book. :roll: :roll:

In the meantime, do as the Romans do.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

tiffinboys wrote:Ah, don't be so demanding mystery. :wink:
Just wait for the book. :roll: :roll:

In the meantime, do as the Romans do.

How is eating gliss gliss, participating in dubious shared bathing rituals and standing in the way of erupting volcanos going to help mystery achieve a rounded education for her children?
Personally I am all for a proper return to Victorian education methods, one of mine would be out earning money this summer forth, instead of lying around, eating junk and prodding his iPad pretending to do school work. He has to help with a hay harvest tomorrow..this he does not know....hah ha ha . :twisted: the worm is turning!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now