Education tourism article - mother prosecuted

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rosy Pippin

Education tourism article - mother prosecuted

Post by Rosy Pippin »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... place.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rosy Pippin on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a village to raise a child
mystery

Re: Education tourism article

Post by mystery »

But tourism is what it isn't. She pretended she lived somewhere else.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Saw it in the Times this morning, loved the quote,

“Mums just want the best for their children, they want the best education for them possible. I am still shaken by this experience.”

Obviously assumed that she wouldn't get found out or that, if she was, no-one would be 'cruel' enough to apply the law that 99+ per cent of the rest of us manage to abide by whilst still 'wanting the best for our children'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

"Mother prosecuted..", the Telegraph title worked a lot better as a cautionary tale. :-)

Maybe you could rename the post?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Son number one has a boy on his school bus who openly bragged about using grannies address for entry, although he waited three months after starting school to do so. The whole charade continued with a free bus place into school from vicinity of granny and home to vicinity of granny. His parents do the rest of the journey of about 15 miles each way to a small village on the herts border....but at least they do not have to venture into Wycombe town....perish the thought :roll: I suppose the up side is that gran gets to see her family a lot more. Seems crazy as their catchment grammar school is fab anyway? Also annoying as the bus is over subscribed and boys from the next village, who would be happy to pay, cannot get a seat.
So not just school address fraud, but free bus pass fraud. :shock:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Someone will snitch on them sooner or later. I knew of someone who moved out with her son & rented a flat near a particular school for a few months. Maybe she really did split up with her husband then change her mind. This particular person now works at the school which I found a bit odd!
scary mum
Blueberrypie

Re: Education tourism article - mother prosecuted

Post by Blueberrypie »

Its absolutely rife where we are, school bus is half full before it leaves a village 20 miles from school, school catchment has never been above 15...go figure! :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Surely, if you are going to use a false address, you arrange somehow to be able to collect mail before the legitimate occupant has a chance to send it back marked 'not known at this address' :roll: .

One hopes that the child is at least a little bit brighter than Mum...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The best upper school round here by a long shot is Marlow upper school, they didnt't even manage to accommodate their catchment this year. Do you think if I set a tent up on the permanent pitches in the local campsite I could use that as my address for son number three? "Windy ridge" Hurley river park, Hurley.
There is a huge motor home on one permanent pitch, with every toy, motorbike, cycle, launch etc parked next to it. Dh is convinced that it's a base for a UK tax dodger to pop home every now and again. The whole set up is probably worth more than our house! We could "borrow" that address.

In seriousness though, why do people make a fuss and lie and cheat, when the choices are all outstanding, such as between bucks grammar options? I just don't get it?
mystery

Post by mystery »

So were the schools that the prosecuted mother could have legally chosen from all outstanding? I don't know the area.

I suppose it's human nature to always want what is perceived as the best - and certainly not all schools are the same. It's not quite as simple as "the grass on the other side is always greener". And it's human nature that a certain percentage will lie and cheat to get it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now