Nfer Scores re Real 11+ Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Sorry, I forgot to add I think Bucks is slightly different, as the mean value at the top of the bell curve is 110 , not 100 so the "pass" is 121, which is still the same 11 standardised score points above the average, representing approx. the top 25% of children sitting the tests.

(I think Patricia is the expert Bucks statistician if you need further clarification!)
Y

Post by Y »

With regard to Bucks, only VR is tested. Bucks children do not have to split their time between as many as 4 11+ subjects as is the case in other areas. If tuition and practice are beneficial, then you would expect Bucks VR scores to be higher than other areas' VR scores.

With regard to high levels of practice in the independent sector, though 'partner schools' are supposed to sign that they haven't done extra practice, it has been suggested to me that they get around this by saying they are practising for common entrance. I was recently informed by a year 7 who had attended a local independent school that her school had started doing an hour a week of 11+ questions in Year 4, and that it 'really helped'.

Y
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I found this interesting, I was told today that my son got 130, 116, and 112 for the practice Kent tests and that we should absolutely apply for the local grammar school.

For the Bond tests (not Nfer?) he is getting 60-85%, not all that great and I have read the Bond papers are easier, I believe.

However, we have only begin working through and I can see his ability to tackle a challenge is increasing steadily.

I am finding it very hard to gauge his 'true' ability but the teacher says that certainly he should not struggle in a grammar school. Confused...!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Meg

121 is not 2sd above the mean as the mean is 111 not 100 - so there is NOT huge underperrformance in Bucks Grammars.
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Hi All,
The 85-95% marks mentioned on here scared me also.

My son's top score on NVR practices was 87% but he averaged early 80's.
For VR he was scoring nearer 75% and I think his top mark was 78%.

I thought he had little chance of passing.
BUT we got his results on Friday and he passed! :D

So although I know the percentage pass mark varies from county to county (we are in Lincs) please do bear in mind that the environment in an exam is very different from the distractions they face at home.

I hope this helps any parents whose children aren't hitting the 90's in their practice papers.
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

PS Forgot to add, my child is a September born child so he had the standardisation to deal with as well which worried me immensley.

Post by Guest »

Thank you confused. Postings such as yours are really needed on this forum. It would be good if people from all regions gave an idea of how their children did in practice papers. It would help keep the moral up (hopefully)
threedown

Post by threedown »

I come from Bucks and have had 3 children so far sit the 11+

My eldest daughter used to score 75-90 % on her practice tests at home on the school ones she got 81% and 73% and ended up passing 2 out of the 3 papers she had to take 5 years ago with 124 and 128.

My second daughter used to score 70-75% at home, on the school practice tests she only scored 51% both times, and her highest score in the real thing was 116, 2 years ago.

My son, who has just taken it this year, was scoring between 70-90% ,depending on the papers at home. His practice tests at school came out at 60% and 63%. We await with bated breath the outcome of his tests.

I would say that the number of children being heavily tutored has increased over the last five years, which can only lead to the bar being raised as it were, higher every year. The children are not trying to get a magic percentage right, they are trying to be in the top 30% of all the children taking the test that particular year. So depending on the year group a borderline child may not pass one year, but would have passed another year!
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Anonymous wrote:Thank you confused. Postings such as yours are really needed on this forum. It would be good if people from all regions gave an idea of how their children did in practice papers. It would help keep the moral up (hopefully)
Thank you!
I forgot to add that in the practice papers he did at school he scored 76.5% overall.
Would love to know what his pass score on the actual papers was, but were aren't told that information.

Good luck everyone.

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure how many passed in Lincs this year but I haven't heard of anyone in our circle of contacts failing yet!
Teacher friend seemed to indicate that "pass mark" seemed to be lower this year
If the practice tests are anything to go by there were children scoring in the 70%'s who passed, including a good few untutored children.
I'm not sure of the numbers sitting the exams but from what we heard from our local grammar it was similar to previous years but there certainly seemed to be far more children from far afield (40 miles+)
In our own school it is quite a small year, although next year seems to be a big year!

Adraini
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now