Nfer Scores re Real 11+ Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

I've heard of only 3 fails from a group of 17 children. :shock:
If this is the same in the whole of the catchment area my child stands little chance of getting in to the Grammar School.
I did ring the Grammar to ask approx how many passed out of the 400 or so who sat the exam but they would not divulge it! :(
Wish I knew my childs score as that *might* make me feel more postiive but we don't get given that either....
Will just have an anxious wait until March then.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I'm not sure how many passed in Lincs this year but I haven't heard of anyone in our circle of contacts failing yet!
Teacher friend seemed to indicate that "pass mark" seemed to be lower this year
If the practice tests are anything to go by there were children scoring in the 70%'s who passed, including a good few untutored children.
I'm not sure of the numbers sitting the exams but from what we heard from our local grammar it was similar to previous years but there certainly seemed to be far more children from far afield (40 miles+)
In our own school it is quite a small year, although next year seems to be a big year!

Adraini
I thought the "pass mark" was always 220 or have I been misinformed and only a certain percentage of candidates pass?
Thanks.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The actual standardised passmark in Lincolnshire does not vary - it is 220 every year. The tests are designed to select out the top 25% so if your child passed they were in the top 25% of those Lincolnshire children in the Grammar school areas who took the test this year.

Historically the numbers of children passing the test varies between areas, some parts of the county getting a far higher pass rate than others.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps I hadn't been specific enough - I agree the pass mark is 220 on the standardised score but what I really meant was that the impression I was given was that the "raw" score average from which the standardised score is derived is probably lower this year.

Hope I'm not being too confusing - there are better descriptions of the standardised score on this site than I could possibly go into!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Interesting - I have no idea by how much raw score averages vary from year to year. I guess a lower average could result from a particularly hard test or from a less able cohort or from a mixture of the two!
Marie Essex

NFEr Scores

Post by Marie Essex »

Some of you may be interested in the scores obtained in the Essex 11+ last Year. I don't know how to post the link - but it is in the Essex Forum under 'No names Please....'

I recall at the time there was some concern about posting the scores - but I think it is helpful to see the reality, even though it is true the only valid comparison is within the year group not across years.

Karen if you read this - I hope this not finds you well and you son settled at KEGs. Our daughter is in heaven at Colchester Girls. Seems only yesterday we were looking at the website on March 1st!!

marie
grammar

Post by grammar »

Thank God for this thread. It is very refreshing and calmed me down a lot. I have been reading comments from the forum for over a year now, and been really pushy towards my child's work, when in fact she is doing great. I can honestly say that this thread is the route of my confidence now, and I learnt that you should believe in your child, not what some people say sometimes. Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now