How come Tiffin Girls and HBS don't need to finalise pre-CAF

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: How come Tiffin Girls and HBS don't need to finalise pre

Post by tiffinboys »

Bumping because it appears from the draft admission policy for St. Olave's Grammar School in Kent that they are proposing to join the club.
Sutton Grammar would be leaving the club - 2nd stage test would now be before CAF.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

As I understand it, HBS invited 300 back for second round. Relative to the number of places they have and the fact that a lot of those girls will also have sat at eg DAO and independents which might be a higher preference, I do actually think that knowing you are top 300 is not a bad degree of info and perhaps better than some other schools which do not have second rounds but give limited info on results (eg am I right to think that Wallington just indicate pass or fail ?) If HBS did not have second round and simply told people after round 1 whether they are in top 100, 100-200, 200-300 etc , I suspect quite a lot of people in the 200-300 ranking would still apply reckoning they had a good shot, and the criticism could not be made that the info is not finalised pre-CAF (or at least it could not be criticised any more than a lot of other schools that do not have a second round).

Caveat - some of my info maybe wrong as my daughter did not apply to these schools .
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

That is true. A simple pass/fail as Wallington offers when 400+ will pass is no more helpful for the CAF than a stage 2 invite going to a similar number of girls. It tells parents the same information.

Many people would like a good deal more information pre CAF and that was debated many times last year especially when dozens and dozens of threads appreared that showed how many misunderstandings some detailed results caused in contrast to Surrey and London concerns about lack of information
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If the parents keep writing to the Schools, there is a possibility of being listened to. Sutton Grammar had now changed their test dates, stating that parents wanted an earlier date.