20 miles to my nearest Grammar school, am I being insane?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hallas

Re: 20 miles to my nearest Grammar school, am I being insane

Post by Hallas »

equilibro wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:if you consider that only the top 25% ability children are admitted to the Grammar, you can then only compare their results with the top 25% attainers of children at a non selective secondary to make a fair comparison. Hmm, got me thinking.
No, still not a fair comparison if the two schools are in the same "catchment", because the grammar school(s) concerned will have creamed off the brightest and best, leaving the non-selective school(s) with the remainder.
Bit confused as my area does not have an Grammar schools so surely the brighest and the best are being distributed throughout the non-selective schools.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

equilibro wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:if you consider that only the top 25% ability children are admitted to the Grammar, you can then only compare their results with the top 25% attainers of children at a non selective secondary to make a fair comparison. Hmm, got me thinking.
No, still not a fair comparison if the two schools are in the same "catchment", because the grammar school(s) concerned will have creamed off the brightest and best, leaving the non-selective school(s) with the remainder.
Halles [/quote]Bit confused as my area does not have an Grammar schools so surely the brighest and the best are being distributed throughout the non-selective schools.[/quote]

I agree Hallas. There are areas that are non-selective and the results in those schools can be used for comparison. When moving to Bucks I compared the local Upper school's data with that of the Comprehensives where we used to live. The Upper here achieved higher standards despite having 25% of the cohort 'creamed off'. Even some of the not so good Uppers in the area were coming out on a par if not better. Okay maybe if I had compared them to better Comprehensives then it wouldn't have made such good reading but a Comprehensive as you point out still has the 'brightest and best' so should achieve higher results , I quote, like you though, the two words are not necessarily synonymous.
Blueberrypie

Post by Blueberrypie »

Mike & equilibro,
Gosh, shocking!!! :shock:
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

I remembered why I never post much on here as I've been bitten in the bum by my own hubris! My son missed the bus yesterday, argh what a massive pain! So I am feeling less pro bus journeys today than I was a few days ago! :lol: :lol:
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Blueberrypie wrote:Mike & equilibro,
Gosh, shocking!!! :shock:
The school's line was that they didn't offer cosmology as an option, even though it was one of the syllabus options and despite my being a co-opted governor and committee chair at the school and so not without a modicum of influence, and so it was "on your own head be it" if my DS1 wanted to DIY the option.
Blueberrypie

Post by Blueberrypie »

Equilibro, well good for him.
Its a credit to you that you have such a well motivated family. I am a firm believer that the root of a childs success lies at home, wether that be acedemic, professional or just plain happiness in life.x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

FlightyRachel wrote:I remembered why I never post much on here as I've been bitten in the bum by my own hubris! My son missed the bus yesterday, argh what a massive pain! So I am feeling less pro bus journeys today than I was a few days ago! :lol: :lol:
I have been known to chase down buses in my Pjays :lol:
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Blueberrypie wrote:I am a firm believer that the root of a childs success lies at home, wether that be acedemic, professional or just plain happiness in life.x
Amen to that BBP. x
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Tolstoy wrote:I have been known to chase down buses in my Pjays :lol:
For me it's chasing down the wheelie lorry in my PJs - the bin men (a cheery Devon lot) have never let me forget it :)
suttonmum

Post by suttonmum »

To the OP
Exactly how are your daughters going to travel to either Nonsuch or Sutton. I have not heard of girls travelling from Crawley. to those schools.