The Sunday Times Schools League Tables 2014

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

curiousappa

Re: The Sunday Times Schools League Tables 2014

Post by curiousappa »

Hi
Could you please provide the date of the article in Sunday times in 2014
it will be really helpful if you can copy paste top 20 schools in both state and independent schools
I am just trying to get the article from library online newspapers archive
thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That would break copyright I think.

Why do you need this information? League tables are very flawed and all the exams will have changed specification before your child takes them ...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@curiousappa

Following link would give you an idea.
http://www.wycombeabbey.com/latestnews/ ... uccess.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"Just one state school has made it to a list of 20 top schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, a sign state schools are struggling to keep up with independent schools.

The study, produced for the Sunday Times, ranked the schools based on the proportion of A*, A and B grades achieved at A-level, and A* and A grades accomplished at GCSE last year

At Wycombe Abbey, where fees are £34,575 a year, 99.3% of A-levels taken scored A*, A or B grades and 98.7% of GCSEs achieved A* or A. Queen Elizabeth’s score of 96% A*-B at A-level and 90.6% for A* and A grades at GCSE puts it in 20th place.

The highest ranked fully comprehensive school is the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School, in west London, which comes joint 168th. It scored 87.1% A*-B grades at A-level and 57.5% A* or A grades at GCSE.

Withington Girls’, a private school in Manchester, is the only school in the top 20 outside London and the southeast."

thesundaytimes.co.uk/parentpower (sorry you need to be subscriber to The Times to access full details)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

And some schools just don't appear in the tables as they don't 'fit' for whatever reason. Schools I am considering for my daughter that do iBac etc but scored equivalent of 94% A*and A grades at iGCSE don't appear. So if you just look at the tables you could be missing a whole world of opportunity, most often the most oversubscribed schools in the country that don't give a hoot about tables. I cobbled together a list from the Good Schools Guide, mumsnet, this forum and visiting schools directly.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

PettswoodFiona wrote:but scored equivalent of 94% A*and A grades at iGCSE don't appear.
what school is this , please specify , and with respect, what does equivalent mean? all the top selective schools are there, trust me, even a minor Indie that my son attends is there! at position 60'ish in the UK and only gets (relative to other top selective schools) 85-90% at IGCSE and 60-70% A*/A at A level over the last few yrs.

I am sure The Times would like to know how they could of made such an error as would I.

these tables are robust imo
salsa

Post by salsa »

How about this table?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;