Ejection from Grammar school due to academic reasons

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Katiebonas

Ejection from Grammar school due to academic reasons

Post by Katiebonas »

I am just wondering if a Grammar school can actually eject a pupil in year 8 or 9. My son's headmaster was concerned about my son's academic progress and he made veiled threats about him having to look at attending his "mixed local comprehensive school". My son does not cause any trouble at school, he does all his home-work and only had 1 detention for forgetting his sports kit. He is just a bit lazy at the moment and does not do as well as he could do, but his grades are hardly disastrous....

I am very worried and would like to know if a Grammar school can eject students for academic reasons.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
tiffinboys

Re: Ejection from Grammar school due to academic reasons

Post by tiffinboys »

Katiebonas wrote:I am just wondering if a Grammar school can actually eject a pupil in year 8 or 9. My son's headmaster was concerned about my son's academic progress and he made veiled threats about him having to look at attending his "mixed local comprehensive school". My son does not cause any trouble at school, he does all his home-work and only had 1 detention for forgetting his sports kit. He is just a bit lazy at the moment and does not do as well as he could do, but his grades are hardly disastrous....

I am very worried and would like to know if a Grammar school can eject students for academic reasons.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Looks like HT is more worried about school's position in league table. Actually, perhaps he should spent time in providing support. School can not eject a student merely on the grounds of low score in year 8 or year 9 internal tests. Have you asked for a written policy from the School?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have known of GS students where the head "suggested" that the pupil may be better elsewhere. Actually the kids concerned were happy enough to go as that is where many of their friends had gone.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

11. It is unlawful to exclude a pupil for a non-disciplinary reason. For example, it would be unlawful to exclude a pupil ........ for a reason such as: academic attainment / ability ....."
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ngland.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The headteacher might try to persuade you that your son would be better placed elsewhere, but you would have to agree to this.
Etienne
moved

Post by moved »

Once your child is on roll he is in the school.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Report his behaviour to the local school authority; you may not be the first victim
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure if this is a LA school - but, in any event, I suspect there's not going to be any evidence of exactly what was said.
hermanmunster wrote:I have known of GS students where the head "suggested" that the pupil may be better elsewhere.
And, in this instance, the head would almost certainly say that he was only asking the parent to consider the possibility that her son might be more appropriately placed somewhere else.
Etienne
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Our local grammar is an expert at 'suggesting' pupils would find an alternative school more appropriate.
hina

Post by hina »

Friend's son in Gravesend was asked to leave school as he failed year 8 miserably.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now