Year 4 maths new curriculum and the 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Year 4 maths new curriculum and the 11 plus

Post by salsa »

Thanks for the insights. Any resources to revive the love for Maths for a year 4 boy?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are lots of posts about this.

The ACME paper warns about the dangers of acceleration: http://www.acme-uk.org/media/10498/raisingthebar.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nrich.math.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Primary Maths challenge

Maths is about problem solving and so trying some 'real-life' problems is good. For example, how fast does a sunflower grow?
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ginx

Post by ginx »

My son needs to work out how far a car goes in an hour, travelling at 10 mph. :roll:

Seriously, I didn't know there was maths had changed. He has always been good at maths, and is finding year 4 work easy.

So is the main difference learning vertically? Thanks for the tip about real life problem solving.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks, Guest55. I'll have a look.
mystery

Post by mystery »

ginx wrote:My son needs to work out how far a car goes in an hour, travelling at 10 mph. :roll:

Seriously, I didn't know there was maths had changed. He has always been good at maths, and is finding year 4 work easy.

So is the main difference learning vertically? Thanks for the tip about real life problem solving.
Lol! Sounds a shame - but better than our current year 4 maths even with that rather unsubtle question about speed.
ginx

Post by ginx »

He has some really difficult questions about speed, distance, time. Even dh finds them difficult. Dh considers his maths is harder than his three older siblings' at this age.

Apparently ds2 (and his class) are doing exactly the same maths as the lower set of year 5.

However, real life solving sounds fun, and we can all join in. Ds2 will enjoy it. He truly believes he is better than everyone else at maths. He isn't - but his confidence has carried him a long way.
mystery

Post by mystery »

ginx wrote:He has some really difficult questions about speed, distance, time. Even dh finds them difficult. Dh considers his maths is harder than his three older siblings' at this age.

Apparently ds2 (and his class) are doing exactly the same maths as the lower set of year 5.

However, real life solving sounds fun, and we can all join in. Ds2 will enjoy it. He truly believes he is better than everyone else at maths. He isn't - but his confidence has carried him a long way.
Oh sorry. I thought you meant that how far does a car travelling at 10mph travel in 1 hour was as good as it gets. So your year 4 maths is rather more challenging than ours. It's terrible.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now