Funding crisis affecting Grammar Schools In Southend

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Funding crisis affecting Grammar Schools In Southend

Post by Guest55 »

The document I quoted is freely available online - all I did was google it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Can you put a link to it in this thread?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/fi ... nuary_2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mods - I trust this is ok as its freely available.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are some of the bullet points on page 6 relevant?

I do not quite understand - this document makes it sound as though a borough council has its own funding formula for schools with the borough? Is that right? I thought it was only mets, unitaries and county councils that had the powers to delegate the funding to schools. Might have misread it. Or is the borough council complaining about Essex cc funding policy?

Is the petition at the start of this thread a petition to Southend bc, Essex cc, EFA or the government?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:Are some of the bullet points on page 6 relevant?

I do not quite understand - this document makes it sound as though a borough council has its own funding formula for schools with the borough? Is that right? I thought it was only mets, unitaries and county councils that had the powers to delegate the funding to schools. Might have misread it. Or is the borough council complaining about Essex cc funding policy?

Is the petition at the start of this thread a petition to Southend bc, Essex cc, EFA or the government?
Southend on Sea is a unitary authority, if that helps (must admit haven't read document).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, that helps. I haven't read the document either but the bullet points on page 6 seems to suggests that their funding formula does not fit well with current methods of funding schools.

We need someone to explain clearly I think. This thread does not make a lot of sense otherwise.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At the back is what each school will get ....
KSW7

Post by KSW7 »

I wasn't going to post anything further as I was a bit surprised at the lack of politeness earlier on. However, now this has settled down into an earnest discussion in which people seem to genuinely want to get to the crux of the issue, I am happy to share what I know. Firstly, the online petition I believe is to be presented to the House Of Commons, but I know nothing further about it. If you search 'Southend', I think you can avoid Jeremy Clarkson. I do know that Sir David Amess MP presented a petition to the House of Commons last week. The issue is not about Pupil Premium; it is about covering basic running costs such as salaries, utility bills etc. According to the news websites it seems to be hitting schools regardless of status. Although admittedly the ones with a high Pupil Premium may be able to weather the storm better. As stated previously, I have trawled through my son's school's accounts and there is a definite shortfall in funding from the Education Funding Agency. I am currently emailing one of their caseworkers; he tried to tell me the school had a surplus. I explained to him that was because he was taking into account the fixed assets such as buildings, which clearly cannot be sold. He then said he could not discuss the case any further with me but had forwarded my emails to the Chief Executive. I didn't get an answer to any of my questions and am going to pursue it further. If I learn anything of interest, I will post again.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Three of the four are getting more than last year ... so what is the issue?

Two non-GS are losing a lot of funding ...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:Three of the four are getting more than last year ... so what is the issue?
May be that's it enough to make the ends meet? Just a guess. :wink: