Is it true that tutored children struggle afterwards?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Re: Is it true that tutored children struggle afterwards?

Post by Catseye »

I suppose it's ok to tutor for 11+, provided, you are prepared to continue to carry it on for another 7 yrs :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

Most tutored for 11+, few tutored afterwards.
salsa

Post by salsa »

What about bright children with a learning difficulty such as dyslexia? Those children would have to get through the exam, but once they are in, what happens? I hear from parents posting here that they thrive. Anyone heard the opposite?
I've not heard of anyone leaving grammar school due to not coping.
@Guest55,
What would have been better for those struggling students who were already at your school?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:Most tutored for 11+, few tutored afterwards.
Actually, if going over the odd sample paper with your child in advance of the 11+ is the same as sending him or her to a paid tutor for an hour a week for months if not years (plus all the homework etc), then surely everyone's child is tutored even after getting in to grammar school - or does everyone else tell little Johnny to just get on and do it for himself every time he asks, "Mum, how do you say {insert sentence} in French?', or whatever?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

moved wrote:Most tutored for 11+, few tutored afterwards.
not true in my DD school, AGGS , how else do you think it knocks seven bells out of most superselectives in the country?

this is not true in my son's Indie School.

money talks ! in general more tutoring goes on the Grammar sector than the Indie sector imho.
salsa

Post by salsa »

How can we be sure of what paid or unpaid tutoring goes on after the children start secondary?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Maybe parents are just too worried about the alternative - local comp?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

salsa wrote: @Guest55,
What would have been better for those struggling students who were already at your school?
I honestly think they would have been better at a comp or at the top of an Upper School (the alternative in Bucks). A few did want to move but parents blocked it ...
salsa

Post by salsa »

I wonder what would be worse for their self confidence, staying and struggling or leaving as "failures".
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

It is not a failure to leave a school that is not right for you but a successful move. My 3 DCs were at a small prep with a fast pace, finishing the curriculum by Christmas in Y 5 so they could start practising papers afterwards, that suited DS1 but DD2 hated it so I moved her to a non selective private school where all the DCs moved to their secondary and she is thriving. I am also moving DD3 there next year as I like the non competitive atmosphere. DS1 is bright and he was tutored as well, managed an academic scholarship in a selective school, and I have no fear about his ability to cope at secondary, but you need to know your DC and do what is best for them. I personally think it is worse to be at the bottom of the pack in a selective school than doing well in a mixed ability one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now