11+ summer school?!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tense

11+ summer school?!!

Post by tense »

On my local paper's website I just noticed an advert for an 11 plus summer school.

11+ Programme – this is a unique programme which runs over a longer day from 9.00am to 3.30pm. It covers Maths, English, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning. Again, quite an intense programme, but one in which the students get the opportunity to work on their own, discuss vital topics and work in groups....it is vital students undertake all 3 weeks to aid their progression.

Sounds like absolute torture. I do realise some parents (especially on this forum) are keen to keep their DC 'ticking over' in the holidays, but surely this is madness? However, I expect many will disagree with me :shock:
yoyo123

Re: 11+ summer school?!!

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree with you, sounds awful.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I can imagine what my kids would have said if I had ever suggested such a thing.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It's that sentence "it is vital students undertake all three weeks to aid their progression" that gets me. Designed expressly to worry people into spending maximum money on the course. What a horrible sounding outfit.
lancmum

Post by lancmum »

Dare I say, if a child needs a three week intensive course in the summer hols, they shouldn't be looking at a GS? Quite new to this 11+ training but sure if I thought my DS needed that, I would be pushing him into somewhere not suitable.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

lancmum wrote:Dare I say, if a child needs a three week intensive course in the summer hols, they shouldn't be looking at a GS? Quite new to this 11+ training but sure if I thought my DS needed that, I would be pushing him into somewhere not suitable.
I'll join you on that thought, but it may be a minority view, unfortunately. Don't you know that the offspring of clueless or complacent parents fail to gain 'their' place at grammar school precisely because they didn't spend their whole summer spending hours with their tutor and doing multiple practice papers every day, never because they just don't make the grade (if they have never been in a top set at school it is always because the teacher has failed to assess their abilities accurately)?

I am, of course, generalising outrageously here :lol: .

But I bet you that if Tense hasn't already had at least one PM asking for details of this course, s/he will have done by the time the week is out...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

ToadMum wrote:
lancmum wrote:But I bet you that if Tense hasn't already had at least one PM asking for details of this course, s/he will have done by the time the week is out...
There is nothing illegal or immoral about this advertised provision of a service, and if there is sufficient demand for the service then it will be satisfying a genuine need. The fact that there are people who consider the provision of the service and/or the use of it to be wrong, is merely incidental.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I don't blame parents, many have fallen pray to various commercial organisations(and we don't have look too far :wink:) whipping up public hysteria around selective education implying comps are crap with poor governance and teachers who can't be bothered.

Even I feel anxious about this issue and know more about education than most, but still I want my son go to a Grammar (but in my defence we do not have proper comps in our area):oops:

if a vociferous opponent to selective education as myself has been sucked into this lie , who am I criticise others!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

equilibro wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
lancmum wrote:But I bet you that if Tense hasn't already had at least one PM asking for details of this course, s/he will have done by the time the week is out...
There is nothing illegal or immoral about this advertised provision of a service, and if there is sufficient demand for the service then it will be satisfying a genuine need. The fact that there are people who consider the provision of the service and/or the use of it to be wrong, is merely incidental.
no one is suggesting it is illegal !

immoral-a subjective call so your logic is neither here or there!

there is a demand for kinds of spurious claims/services that are also are not illegal but have the stench of manipulation of the vulnerable e.g alternative medicine immediately comes to mind!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Catseye wrote:I don't blame parents, many have fallen pray to various commercial organisations(and we don't have look too far :wink:) whipping up public hysteria around selective education
Have you actually read this website? Nowhere does it try to "whip up public hysteria", in fact it aims to do the reverse - keep people calm and give clear, sensible advice on managing any stress in the process. As just one example: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... he-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elevenplusexams wrote:Manage your stress
Although both you and your child may feel that their future schooling is at best uncertain and at worst, almost dependent on a “lottery” (now a reality in some non-selective areas, of course), you must face both the best and worst possible outcomes with as much calm and equanimity as you can muster. It may help to put the testing process in context within your family. Compared with the blessings of good health, financial security and a roof over your heads, the outcome of the 11+ is relatively low on the scale of family crisis. Try to retain a sense of perspective at all times.
Although the forum may appear to be a different matter, the message we have always sought to communicate on a "corporate" level has remained the same for a decade, and will never change.

The blame for greedy, unscrupulous tutors can hardly be laid at our door! They were always out there, sad to say. It's just that, with the growth in the internet, it has become massively easier for them to promote themselves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now