Grammar schools without catchment criteria

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: Grammar schools without catchment criteria

Post by PettswoodFiona »

In answer to the question about % needed to pass the Kent test, it isn't as simplistic as that. If you are OOC the score required is very much higher, but depends on the cohort sitting and the bell curve of results. For Sept 15 entry the tests were hard in Sept 14 so the score was lower and 380 out of 420 got you a place at a superselective. The year before it was well over 400. The general 'pass' mark for general (as opposed to superselective) will also go up and down so can help you see what the required mark might be expected. For example Sep 2015 pass mark for exams say Sep 15 was 320, the year before it was much higher. However for girls for 2016 it is all the more confusing as Tonbridge and Wilmington had an extra class in 2015 but won't have for 2016 - so the that is the long answer. The short answer is 'it depends...'
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Those are standardised scores, not %, of course.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Can anyone tell me any of the CSSE schools that have non catchment places? I have looked on the various websites but it is not very clear. Thanks DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:Can anyone tell me any of the CSSE schools that have non catchment places? I have looked on the various websites but it is not very clear. Thanks DG
It should all be there in the 'secondary transfer' info for the schools on the Southend and Essex sites, but here goes:

CRGS and ColCHS, no catchment.

Westcliff schools, minimum 39 each non-catchment plus any ic places not taken up (not sure whether will change with increased intake at the girls' school)

Southend girls min 35, then same as above plus same '?'
Southend Boys' min 30, then as Westcliff.

Chelmsford schools - 80% catchment then 20% on score, so maximum 30 ooc each.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sandra

Post by sandra »

Many thanks for all your advice, really appreciate!!!

Just to confirm - if we have to move to Bucks to be eligible for 11 plus (Yr7 starting Sept 17), the latest would be 1st of Oct 2016? Is there a single link/place where can I get this info from?
Also, can my DS continue to be in the same primary school where he is now post house move (I know it could be a long commute on a daily basis but trying to be less disruptive!) or does he have to be in one of the Bucks primary schools?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... y-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do need to read the admission policies for any school you are interested in. DCGS has an even earlier date if that school is of interest.
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

Hi Daugroupie,
Could you please explain what's DS , DD and DG
In my understanding DS =son , DD=daughter, DG =?
Sorry I may sound silly I just want to clear since I m new here.
We are also in same position as Sandra but we are living in South side of Cambridge. Planning to relocate once our daughter secure place in any one of the grammer schools. It's also bit difficult some of the noncatchment schools have a 11+ exam on same day.
any advice will be helpful about out of catchment schools. since we are ready to relocate anywhere in the country.
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

Hi pettswoodfiona,
Thanks could you please let me know whats the superselective score for girls in Bexley
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DG is short for Daogroupie. You will have already missed a lot of application dates and you don't have enough time to prepare for lots of different formats. I suggest you focus only on schools that use the CEM format so that you only have one format to prepare for. Have you done any prep at all? DG
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There are no super selective schools in Bexley. For a top 180 score it is just that, a top score compared to the cohort. Sorry can't be more helpful. There may be parents who's children got this score on the past and can advise better than I can.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now