Do my twins have any chance - GL assessment

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onebigdilemma

Re: Do my twins have any chance - GL assessment

Post by onebigdilemma »

I have twins who did the 11+ last year. We did very little prep, they are both bright boys but to me nothing amazing and to be honest I did not expect either to get in.
The results showed that the one who is just slightly ahead academically did a lot better on the day.
I had to think very hard about whether to send them to different schools. I am a single parent so logistically it could be a nightmare and they are best friends 99% of the time and have always been in the same class (same school).
They have taken the idea of different schools very well (I think it helped that neither really wanted to go to the grammar as a single sex school).
The bit that I find the hardest is that everyone asks them which school they are going too in September and although the one who didn't get into grammar has not been upset or bothered at all it must be hard hearing how well his brother has done.
We will see in September how it works out!!
Alex

Post by Alex »

My twins are in Y12 now but I do remember the run up to the 11+. They are identical and were achieving very similar levels at school but one was more confident than the other. Getting them to do practice together just did not work as the less confident one just grew less and less confident and more and more demoralised so I separated them and didn't discuss how either one had done with the other. Time-consuming and wearing for a less-than-patient mum, but it did work much better. In the end they got almost identical scores with the less confident one getting slightly more than her sister.
bgh

Post by bgh »

Thank you all for your feedback, it's really good to hear your perspectives and how your twins handled the various outcomes.

We live in Buckinghamshire which is fully selective with an opt-out policy so there is often a strong feeling of failure among children who don't get the result they were hoping for. I'm concerned that this would be even more so for either of my DDs if one of them qualifies for GS and one does not.

We've always tried to raise the girls as individuals, and to help them to accept that they won't always get the same things (eg playdates and party invites etc), but I'm worried that one going to a GS and one going to an upper school will cause long term issues with self-confidence.

Sorry for not responding sooner: I've had PC problems and couldn't get online.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm worried that one going to a GS and one going to an upper school will cause long term issues with self-confidence.
Well you could find that if one is top of an Upper School and the other struggles in a GS then the one in a GS will lack confidence.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I've already reined with my view but to add to your answers about the concern about confidence and self esteem, guest 55 is quite right of course, but also,at risk of repeating myself, you cannot shelter your twins from all disappointment in life. Just because they are twins does not mean that they will be the same and track along with the same options in life, and this is just one of those times.
If one is suitable for GS and the other not, but you send them both to the local upper, what happens when the more able twin pulls way ahead of the other, gets into a higher stream, better results etc etc, all fully visible to each other and all the other children in the year. Surely better if there is a marked gap for them to be in different schools where they won't be compared.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Two of my DDs friends (a year above her) are twins - sisters. For last year's intake, one passed, and one didn't. One went to the GS, the other didn't.

Both have been doing well in their respective schools - and the one who didn't pass, passed the 12+, and will be going into year 8 at the GS, joining her twin.

Provided their happy and enthusiastic, they'll succeed - they don't always have to take the same route.

Panic not, either way.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

Now I have my twins' results I thought I could update you.

They sat the Dorset schools consortium papers. The pass mark was 294.

Twin 1 scored 333
Twin 2 scored 307

So happy they both made it.

We are OOC so need high scores; last year about 35 places were offered ooc. Now we have to wait until March. Not sure what our chances are.......
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Hi Twinmumdorch,

Congratulations to both your twins on passing the test.

I have twin girls and so went through the same agony as you this time last year. It is pretty horrible when you get the scores and you still don't really know what your chances are. It worked out well for us in the end for us in the end; they both got the same grammar school. I hope your twins both get the school they want.