Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hera

Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Post by Hera »

The guide lists 10 primary and 20 secondary schools. Top secondary schools include St Marylebone Church of England School in west London, described as an alternative to the London Oratory, and Dame Alice Owen’s School in Potters Bar, Herts, described as a “golden ticket”.
:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Re: Tatler publishes guide to Britain's best state schools

Post by Guest55 »

It seems very focused on London ... and from the article I'm not sure of the criteria used. Maybe it was sponsored by Estate Agents?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

and written at Ritz coffee table.....
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Perhaps there lies the answer to freeing up grammar school places for the children of less affluent families.
Take away the rolling lawns, "orchards", fancy buildings, clock towers. Tweak the curriculum to very limited musical options...maybe just recorders, choir and a band club, no Latin, footy rather than rugby, no fives, no fencing, no rowing, no lacrosse, and limit all school trips to the British isles. Also make sure the uniform is compulsorary 100% polyester, no blazer, and an elastic tie.

Tatler would certainly not be recommending that type of school, but if it had excellent teaching and results the majority of low-middle income parents would be happy.

Brilliant, don't know why they did not think of it before.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

southbucks3 wrote:Brilliant, don't know why they did not think of it before.
May be because we live in democracy; not in North Korea. :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I gather one of the Skipton schools gets listed ... not terribly near London.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Primaries - http://www.tatler.com/news/articles/jan ... --part-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:I gather one of the Skipton schools gets listed ... not terribly near London.
Looking at the comments, at least one reader was unaware that Edinburgh and York are not inside the M25 :lol:

Do you think the bit in the article about the super-fast service between York and London was meant to encourage the YummyDaddies to commute from, or to put their offspring on the train to, York?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:
Looking at the comments, at least one reader was unaware that Edinburgh and York are not inside the M25 :lol:
:lol: :lol: I know - sad isn't it. TBH I keep hoping that not too many people will find out that you can live in a Dales village and be in a GS catchment....
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I can't seem to find the list of schools mentioned. Could someone list them please? Thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now