Brain boosting recipes and foods

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: Brain boosting recipes and foods

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sorry, I know this goes completely against the "healthy eating for a healthy mind, quinoa is queen" thread!

A friend of mine who has the dubious honour of 4 boys in a super-selective swore by packets of "mintos" for them to eat during the exam and a Mars Bar (with water to drink) in the break - this is to do with giving the brain bursts of energy throughout and a big burst in the middle when they do get very tired (expect your child to be exhausted at the end and do not fire loads of questions at them!) We used the "mintos"/mars bar formula and it worked both times for us.
Plus 1, the same mum told me the same thing and it worked for us too. 11+ day of reckoning is not the time to worry about dodgy sugar intake. Get those levels quickly high and deal with the fallout later (we did, lol!)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Really don't remember what DS had - it might be recorded in an old thread somewhere - as it was 5 years ago, but i do remember OH and I having coffee and cake while DS was doing the test.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Plus 1 again, in our case chocolate, and afterwards he was absolutely pooped and could hardly string a sentence together!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Jam sandwich here ... I'm sensing a theme to success :lol:

JD
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sorry, I know this goes completely against the "healthy eating for a healthy mind, quinoa is queen" thread!

A friend of mine who has the dubious honour of 4 boys in a super-selective swore by packets of "mintos" for them to eat during the exam and a Mars Bar (with water to drink) in the break - this is to do with giving the brain bursts of energy throughout and a big burst in the middle when they do get very tired (expect your child to be exhausted at the end and do not fire loads of questions at them!) We used the "mintos"/mars bar formula and it worked both times for us.
Just don't let them anywhere near a bottle of Coke if you're going to fill them up with Mentos :shock: . Unless you mean those nice creamy oblong-y thingies which I've never seen used in school chemistry lessons so possibly they are a bit safer?

I seem to remember a thread similar to this from a couple of years back? With an injunction to ensure that one's potatoes - sorry, potato, singular - were the correct size and to make sure that one's DC are not allowed to eat pasta the night before the 11+?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes Mentos! And no, no coke as we don't want them exploding! Sorry I typed it but it autocorrected to mints and I thought I had corrected it back but obviously not enough!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

The best thing to have would be dark chocolate. The theobromine will make their Bahrain work well and elicit some euphoria too. Dark chocolate has very little sugar in so they won't get the drop in blood sugar after 20 minutes. Did like cacao nibs to chew on and says they make here brain work better.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Lets face it, when it comes to the day they are so hyped up by it being an exam I am sure their own adrenaline does all the work and keeps them going whatever, so even if they hardly sleep a wink the night before they will be FINE, even if they eat chips and espresso for breakfast they will be FINE, even if they don't eat anything, they will be FINE.

All great advice of course, and all fine, but just tips to those coming in, don't worry about it. They will be fine and their own bodies will get them through.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

+1 on the day it is irrelevant. As long as their diet is generally good.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Thinking about some warming, yummy healthy suppers at the moment. It is so cold and rainy. Supper tonight was bolognaise sauce which included loads of hidden veggies made into a sort of lasagne thingy with quark and nutmeg instead of white sauce and chestnut flour pancakes. Will use the rest of the bolognaise sauce tomorrow with lentil and black bean pasta.
I haven't got my cold weather cooking head on yet so I can't think of anything particularly exciting to cook this week but when cold food is no longer met with enthusiasm it is time to get the slow cooker out.