Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Examberry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:37 pm 

My son will be in year 4 this september . we live in guildford. We have just started a bit of research for grammer schools and tuitions n all. We looked at AE tuitions they r full at the moment . some one suggested for examberry , which will start for next jan for my son . Has any one tried examberry or knows anything about it . Are they good in providing coaching for 11 plus.just i am new on this so i am asking. anyways we will prepare him at home with little guidance from outside if needed. is any one from guildford surrey and taking there kids to new malden examberry or have tried please message me. just wanted a bit of guidance.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here

Kind regards

ForumAdmin

Post subject: Re: Examberry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:57 pm 

I know nothing about Examberry but Year 4 is too early for regular tuition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 pm 

According to their website they prepare mostly for Tiffin and Slough schools. Are you in catchment for those schools? Do check before you fork out lots of £££ for tutoring. I also think year 4 is too early for formal, paid tutoring - stick with encouraging him to read widely and ask him questions about the text, play lots of mentally stimulating games, and learn times tables etc at home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:53 pm 

Peridot wrote:
According to their website they prepare mostly for Tiffin and Slough schools. Are you in catchment for those schools? Do check before you fork out lots of £££ for tutoring. I also think year 4 is too early for formal, paid tutoring - stick with encouraging him to read widely and ask him questions about the text, play lots of mentally stimulating games, and learn times tables etc at home.

Guildford is quite a lot more than as far again from Tiffin Boys as the outer edge of the catchment area and nearly thirty miles from Slough.

sony, are you about to move to somewhere in the Slough area, or within 14Km of Tiffin?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:05 pm 

I recall reading about this organisation in some evening papers. The owner was a school teacher and DIY prepared her two sons for Tiffin and then started with the idea of tuition centre. Later, many branches were opened with different teachers. I was also told that one of the Tiffin teacher helped in developing their course material and taught at their Kingston centre. Then a group of then current and ex Tiffin teachers opened their own tuition centre. One of those teacher is still in Tiffin.

Any commercial org interest would be in coaching from earlier years. I think coaching from year 4 is too early and unnecessary. If a child needs extensive coaching for 2 years or more just to qualify for a place in grammar, then it's better not to consider grammar school at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 pm 

I used them for 2 terms at the beginning of year 5 and thought they were on the ball, lots of exam techniques and the tutors were professional.
They only did multiple choice questions then and my son needed help with creative writing for indies so I swapped for an English tutor for the last 2 terms. They might have changed their syllabus now that the tiffin boys exam format has changed, I don't know. I think starting in year 4 is pushing it a bit though, but I can see the appeal and they are obviously getting customers through their nets :) I also used their mock interview for indies and we found it useful. At the end of the day I think I was just calming my own nerves with all this extra tutoring, but it paid off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:46 pm 

Commercial tutors try to create sense of panic amongst the parents. For example, here is a quote from Telegraph article and there are more examples in other papers too.
Quote:
But one tutor warned that the sheer competition for places to get into the most sought-after schools was making some parents ill.

Nav Johal, founder of the Examberry tutor agency, said rising numbers of parents were seeking help to prepare children as young as six for entry tests for state grammar schools.

“One mum told me her hair has fallen out with stress,” she added. “For the last year every coffee morning or conversation outside the school gates, and at every dinner party, is just about, ‘Is my child going to get into that school or not?’”

Another article in Evening Standard.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educatio ... 65703.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:27 am 

But there is a demand for early tutoring. I met a mum who was already planning the 11+ for her unborn child! I think that if your child doesn't go to a good prep school, starting in Y4 could be an option, but I would try DIY and try to establish a good work relationship/ethic at home. The danger is to put the child off and to increase the stress level. The money is also substantial over 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:03 am 

I am astonished that Tiffin teachers can get away with tutoring publically in a centre that is preparing students for a place at the school they work in.

Does that not make it really hard for other centres to compete against one that has an actual teacher from the school among their staff?

Do the governors at Tiffin really not have any problem with it? DG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm 

It was reported to the school. They must be okay with it. The person is a brilliant brilliant outstanding teacher.