Equal preference system - does it work or not?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Equal preference system - does it work or not?

Post by PurpleDuck »

I am a bit confused by wording of a letter from Wallington boys.

It suggests that people who don't list the school on their CAF as their first choice, are at a disadvantage to those who do and so risk not getting a place. Is this correct? Or is it just Wallington's spin to try and prevent last year's issues with not enough places being taken up initially?

I've thought equal preference system means that schools have no way of knowing whether they are someone's first, second or even third choice... Does anyone know whether equal preference system works with grammar schools or not, please? Thank you.
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Equal preference system - does it work or not?

Post by Tinkers »

Your understanding is correct, where you put the schools on the CAF has no bearing on whether their will offer you a place. You will get a place at your highest preference school that can offer you a place. If your highest preference can't offer you a place, then your second choice automatically becomes your first choice.

Unfortunately we hear this a lot about head teachers.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The only risk to not putting a school eg Wallngton first is that you get offered a place at the school you have put first and hence won't be considered by Wallington
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Equal preference means exactly what you have described. No state school grammar or not will know what order candidates have put schools on their forms. I believe they are acting out of sync with the council by saying you need to put them first, just trying to cover themselves if they are not filling their spaces. Ive had a similar experience where I contacted a school under extenuating circumstances for admissions as outlined in their admissions statement. I too was told if going down that route I would need to put them first on the CAF form, I let them say their bit, so as not to rub them up the wrong way fully knowing this was rubbish.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Neveragainmum, hermanmunster, Tinkers - thank you for your replies, I feel a bit better now. If DS passes his stage 2 exams, our first choice would be SGS; if he doesn't, Wallington will be the only grammar we can apply for. Wishful thinking is to be able to have a choice :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

One of our local school asks the parents at appeal if they put it first. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:The only risk to not putting a school eg Wallngton first is that you get offered a place at the school you have put first and hence won't be considered by Wallington
Yes, so heads who say what the OP heard may be spreading misinformation, but more likely are just saying the right thing in a way open to misinterpretation. Perhaps it would help to say, 'if this school is your first preference, you should put it first on your CAF' - and explain why. All LEAs tell you how to fill in the CAF, but even among those who actually read the instructions, some will either not understand or will be happy to believe that another parent at the school gate who tells them something completely different must be right and the LEA wrong.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx