EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON UNIVERSITY FEES.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON UNIVERSITY FEES.

Post by Snowdrops »

Just found the following on Martin's Money Saving Expert website. There is a link at the bottom to the relevant web page.

IT IS IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ AND ACT. IT WILL COST YOUR CHILDREN LOTS OF MONEY IF YOU AND THEY AND THEIR FRIENDS DON'T.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON AND GET OTHERS TO PASS IT ON.

Do not think it doesn't affect you or will not affect you in the future. The proposed changes will be for any student attending university from 2012 onwards. IIT COULD COST DEARLY IF IT GOES THROUGH.

The Government is consulting on a retrospective change to student loans in England that could mean many who took them since 2012 will have to shell out more.

I first wrote on this in January in my A threat to the Government, don’t U-turn on student loans blog post. That partially succeeded, as at least the Government agreed to consult on the change rather than just do it. Yet now…

EVERYONE NEEDS TO TELL THEIR MP TO ENSURE THIS IS STOPPED

Below, I’ve drafted a free email and letter template to help you do this. This approach worked very well in the campaign to get financial education on the national curriculum, as when real people (not political activists who do it all the time) write to MPs, they sit up and take notice.

First though a bit more detail…

What’s the problem?

Student loans are designed to be repaid once you leave university. You pay 9% of everything earned above £21,000 a year. When the 2012 system was launched, the Government said that from April 2017, the £21,000 figure would be uprated (ie, increased) each year in line with average earnings. But now it wants to freeze it at £21,000 instead.

This means graduates would end up paying more each month than the Government promised and publicised when they took out the loan. Eg, if you earn £25,000 and the threshold is £23,000, you repay £180 a year. If the threshold is frozen at £21,000, you pay £360 a year. For a full explanation see my Don’t U-turn blog post.

This type of change is a disgrace and goes against all the rules of good governance in all areas, which frown on retrospective changes. No commercial company would be allowed to change its terms after the event like this – it’d be slapped by the regulator.

What am I going to do about it?

I have pledged to fight this, as it is an outrage, partly too as I communicated this to people in good faith in my role as head of the Independent Taskforce on Student Finance Information. As part of this, alongside MoneySavingExpert.com, today I’m submitting a detailed response to the Government’s consultation.

What you can do?

Assuming you agree – whether you’re directly affected or not, please ensure your voice is heard. We want MPs to know they cannot retrospectively change the terms. Doing so not only hurts those directly affected, it kills faith in the entire system.

How would anyone be able to trust the student finance set up again if future Governments can change it with hindsight?

What to do…

If you want to read the Government’s consultation and do your own response, you can until 14 October, and that’d be great. However, an easier option is to put pressure on the Government by writing to your MP. Plus, please spread the word on social media. Here’s how…

Go to Parliament.uk. Enter your postcode into Parliament.uk or click the link to your MP’s name and check for an email address.
Email them a message. Here’s a template for inspiration. You can copy and paste it, or even better, please personalise it with your views and experience. Are you a parent of a post-2012 student? Are you at university now? Tell your MP why this matters to you.

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2015/ ... _content=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jiffreturns

Re: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON UNIVERSITY FEES.

Post by Jiffreturns »

Many thanks for highlighting this Snowdrops. Sadly I'm not surprised as there was always the potential for a change in the rules. I shall be writing to my MP!
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Thanks - have sent an email
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Does the change means that the loan would be repaid earlier? Or the borrower would be paying more back than in the current system?

I am against any retrospective change, so will write to our local MP.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

I have been moved to email. We have been discussing how University costs can be funded by my DD and it doesn't inspire confidence if decisions based on one set of assumptions turn out to be built on sand.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

tiffinboys wrote:Does the change means that the loan would be repaid earlier? Or the borrower would be paying more back than in the current system?

I am against any retrospective change, so will write to our local MP.

Unfortunately, it means they will be paying back more :shock: :cry: