Girls or mixed schools ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mpsv

Girls or mixed schools ?

Post by mpsv »

Hi Moms and dads ...

Would you prefer a girls only secondary or mixed school for girls ... Starting this thread to know your views ...my personal feeling is girls only schools are better as there is no diversion ....
quasimodo

Re: Girls or mixed schools ?

Post by quasimodo »

There is a thread on the general topic in the Birmingham section.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=44901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

mpsv wrote:Hi Moms and dads ...

Would you prefer a girls only secondary or mixed school for girls ... Starting this thread to know your views ...my personal feeling is girls only schools are better as there is no diversion ....
No distractions but a whole lot of hormonal b*tching, with no male "common sense" to temper it! Having gone to an all girls school, I always vowed that if I had girls (I don't!) I would not do that to them. Nothing I have seen locally would change my mind!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:

No distractions but a whole lot of hormonal b*tching, with no male "common sense" to temper it! Having gone to an all girls school, I always vowed that if I had girls (I don't!) I would not do that to them. Nothing I have seen locally would change my mind!
:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me to it, KCG!

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:D :D :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

JamesDean wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me to it, KCG!

JD
with you both!
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It depends on the individual girl. I would have hated all girls, but DD definitely wanted it and loves it.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Wild horses couldn't drag mine ... :lol:

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I know a couple who really wanted it too but now they have it, have had a really tough time and actually hate it. As I said, talking locally to me.
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

Girl's schools certainly do a lot better at getting girls doing Physics at A-level - the national picture is dismal with only 20% girls taking Physics A-level for the last 20 years :(

Even those schools that claim they have a high rate of STEM subject take up by girls often have girls choosing Biology and, to a lesser extent, Chemistry but not Physics.

This saddens me as without Physics many STEM careers are closed to girls/women e.g. Engineering, which is ~85% male at Universities in the UK.