When did you begin to train your child for grammar schools?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: When did you begin to train your child for grammar schoo

Post by Sally-Anne »

fantasyvn2008 wrote:All of them got to the best grammar schools in this country. Not just any grammar, but the best grammar schools, including the Tonbridge Grammar School.
There are nearly 3,500 state secondary schools in England and Wales.

Of those, 164 are grammar schools and they are all (possibly give or take one or two) in the top 250 of the secondary league tables.

The difference between any of them is minimal, and to differentiate between them as "top" and "otherwise" is madness.

Some are harder to get into because they are super-selective and attract higher numbers of entrants, but that doesn't make them better.
memphis

Post by memphis »

fantasyvn2008 wrote:Thank you for your replies so far.

I feel anxious as recently I found out, not just through hearsay, that quite a few friends are really competitive. Although they kept saying their children did not have to do anything until the last two years of primary school, it turned out they did have tutors much earlier. And the result? All of them got to the best grammar schools in this country. Not just any grammar, but the best grammar schools, including the Tonbridge Grammar School.

So that's why I feel anxious and worried.
I started feeling 'anxious' around Easter, Year 5.

Your dc is only in Year 1. If you are anxious and worried now, by the time your dc is in Year 5 you might end up having a meltdown.
Last edited by memphis on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memphis

Post by memphis »

J50 wrote:Are you sure this isn't just another wind up merchant? After all, they did post this previously:
fantasyvn2008 wrote:Could you pls advise? My son is in year 1 (born in 2009). We go to work, so after he finishes school at 3.15, a childminder will take care until 5.30.

After we get home, I intend to have this timetable with him until bed time:

5.30 - 7pm: free play and dinner
7-7.10: piano
7.10-7.20: free play
7.20 - 7.30: handwriting

7.30-7.40: free play
7.40-7.55: maths

7.55-8pm: break
8 - 8.10: reading and then going to bed

I managed to do this timetable for two days with my child.

But I was wondering if it is suitable for his growth and well-being. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Do you happen to have this in an excel spreadsheet with a dynamic pie chart?
J50

Post by J50 »

How can you possibly know that Year 1 and Year 2 children are actually Grammar school material, have the ability to thrive at such a school, and would gain anything from going there? They may well both be educationally below average and destined for a life cleaning the streets or working as bin men - which is no bad thing!?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I hate the name of this topic, to start with - "...to train your child for grammar schools..."! :shock: They aren't pets and life continues after school, grammar or not.

At this age let children play with cardboard boxes and eat mud. Let them run outside in the rain and splash in puddles. But read to them, often, and make it an enjoyable experience - one they look forward to - let them choose the books - tell stories to them, make up silly rhymes. As they get older make sure they have a good grasp of times tables - and keep reading to them, with them, alongside them.

Train your child to have a love of learning, to take an interest in the world around them, to watch the children's news, to listen to the radio, to have empathy and compassion for each other - but most of all let them be kids - there is plenty of time to "adult"...and, let's face it "adulting" isn't a whole lot of fun most days...!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

memphis wrote:
J50 wrote:Are you sure this isn't just another wind up merchant? After all, they did post this previously:
fantasyvn2008 wrote:Could you pls advise? My son is in year 1 (born in 2009). We go to work, so after he finishes school at 3.15, a childminder will take care until 5.30.

After we get home, I intend to have this timetable with him until bed time:

5.30 - 7pm: free play and dinner
7-7.10: piano
7.10-7.20: free play
7.20 - 7.30: handwriting

7.30-7.40: free play
7.40-7.55: maths

7.55-8pm: break
8 - 8.10: reading and then going to bed

I managed to do this timetable for two days with my child.

But I was wondering if it is suitable for his growth and well-being. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Do you happen to have this in an excel spreadsheet with a dynamic pie chart?

:lol: snort
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We started to do some timed tests and tutoring in weak areas about January of year 5, for a September test. We had started some creative writing classes initially just to extend her existing interest as school was boring her.

She learned the material needed such as math concepts and vocabulary at state school, home discussions, and from her own enjoyment of reading. She did however need some help with exam technique and anxiety management for pressure of timed tests. Mock tests were very helpful in this. I would not do those any sooner than year 5.
fantasyvn2008

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

Thank you again. So it seems most of our forum members don't use tutors until Year 5.

The friends that I mentioned are originally from Pakistan and China. I was wondering if a cultural factor may be at work here. Perhaps people from Asia are more anxious and tend to heap pressure on their children, like the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother? According to a report by Sutton Trust, "the proportion of pupils from non-White backgrounds going to grammar schools is higher than in other schools. These are largely pupils from Asian and Chinese backgrounds, but grammar schools have lower proportions of Black pupils than other schools."
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There is a boy in DS2's form (year 8 at a grammar school) who was obviously - and by this, I mean that it is actually commented on by DS2 and the other boys - trained extremely well to get a pass score in the 11+, but unfortunately not how to transfer any useful learning skills to everyday life in lessons. Apparently the whole class applauded one day when he answered a question and was actually right. Still, a pass he must have achieved and therefore he deserves his place more than a possibly less well 'trained' lad who might actually have blossomed intellectually had he not got a slightly lower score on the day.

But J50, I am intrigued by the concept of a child being 'grammar school material', or possibly an alternative described as 'educationally below average'; surely the received wisdom on the forum is that there is no such thing as natural ability - all children are equal and the only thing which divides them is their willingness to work (usually with their tutors) :lol: .
Last edited by ToadMum on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

fantasyvn2008 wrote: The friends that I mentioned are originally from Pakistan and China. I was wondering if a cultural factor may be at work here. Perhaps people from Asia are more anxious and tend to heap pressure on their children, like the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?
Have you considered asking your friends? At the end of the day, why do you care? To be honest, you're coming across as rather anxious yourself. Are you a Tiger Parent too?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now