Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rugby Free School
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm 

There is a new secondary school opening in September 2016 in Rugby, with 180 year 7 places.

People had assumed it was opening on the north side of Rugby, which is close to one other secondary school, Avon Valley.

It's opening on the south side, which is close to Ashlawn, Harris and Bilton secondary schools.

It is going to be a STEMM school - I think that stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Music.

As I am worried about ds2 getting into Ashlawn, now he's heard of this new school (I am constantly surprised by the fact boys talk about anything to do with secondary schools), he is desperate to go - because he loves Maths and therefore assumes he will love the other subjects (except Music, which he hates).

Ashlawn is still also intending to open four classes for year 7 in Rugby in 2017. I don't know where all the extra children come from!

Is a new school likely to be "better" than an existing one - I suppose it will have new facilities. Does anybody know anything about it - or have any opinion about new secondary schools?

Post subject: Re: Rugby Free School
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm 

Well, it all sounds very exciting :) . I see that neither Spanish nor Mandarin, the only MFL offered, will be compulsory at GCSE, though. Is this usual for schools in the area?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:56 am 

ginx, where is the free secondary school opening then? Do they have a site?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:05 pm 

Each time I see this heading I read it as "rugby-free" instead of free school in Rugby. :oops: Carry on!

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 pm 

guest201, Rugby Free (yes, Free!) School has just announced a site, at Rokeby - which is very near Harris School.

I don't know about the Spanish and Mandarin in other schools, Rugby High School offer Spanish, I don't know anywhere that offers Mandarin round here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:24 pm 

ginx wrote:
guest201, Rugby Free (yes, Free!) School has just announced a site, at Rokeby - which is very near Harris School.

I don't know about the Spanish and Mandarin in other schools, Rugby High School offer Spanish, I don't know anywhere that offers Mandarin round here.

Sorry, my musings were more along the lines of, do most schools allow the children to drop all MFL at the end of KS3? Having said that, the choice of languages to teach in the first place is perhaps comment-worthy to those of us with a more 'traditional' education, but I'm sure Spanish and Mandarin are more useful than French and German.