Newbie needing advice

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Newbie needing advice

Post by Daogroupie »

If your dd can cope with boys outside school then she can cope with them in school. Sooner or later she will need to learn to deal with them not just run away from the problem. Personally I find girls behave far more stupidly than boys.

You are better to stay as far away from London as possible. Kent and Buckinghamshire would be good areas as they have a lot of grammar schools.

You need to work your plans into the structure of the 11 plus year. You will need to sit the exams in September and apply before 31st October with results on 1st March.

No grammar school will take results from another grammar school unless they are using the same exam format and you let them know at the time of registration.

Mostly all choose their own exam formats and have many more applicants than they need.

You dont need to worry about this March. That is results from students who sat exams in September 2015. If you go for the state grammars in Buckinghamshire then you can focus on one exam format. I think that would be your best way forward. DG
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you sit Kent (most parts quite rural) test it qualifies you for any Kent school (most are pass and then oversubscription criteria like distance, some are score). You can register even if out of Kent and they have a timeline by when you need to be at an address or supply change of address which this year was early December. Same for Bexley, but that is only four schools. But you can't sit Kent and hope to get into Newstead as that is London Borough of Bromley. Newstead by the way get a lot into medical and vet science courses.

See the FAQs section of this site at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =9&t=29397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a list of common abbreviations. I realise I used JAGS which is the abbreviation of a school which isn't on this list but it still comes top if you google it: James Allen's Girl's school. But you've discounted that as you want rural which JAGS isn't.

I don't mean to touch a nerve but more as a friendly observation. To me Googley2 it sounds like you are running away. Away from problems, away from boys, away from state schools, away from crowds. It doesn't sound like a good foundation for resilience to be avoiding all the challenges. I'm not hearing about the reasons FOR doing what you propose only reasons why you feel backed into a corner. Yes we have to pick our battles in life and avoid some problems, but careful about avoiding all as that will just hoard up problems for the future. It is also normally polite to thank people for giving the benefit of their advice and they may be inclined to provide more, just asking more questions without thanks is not quite 'cricket'. Again just a friendly observation.

Good luck.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are house prices an issue? I would hazard a guess that the average price in Colchester or Ipswich is somewhat lower than that of the equivalent property in most parts of Buckinghamshire.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

House prices in North Bucks are cheaper ...
sparkles18

Post by sparkles18 »

Warwickshire grammar schools sit the CEM test for 11+. you can find more information from the below link:
https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elevenplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You won't find any past papers on line but there is a familiarisation sheet at the below link:
http://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/doc ... CC-699-441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used CGP CEM books to help my son prepare and also enrolled in an online tutoring company based in Shirley where they set a Maths, English, VR & NVR test every week day.

I don't know anything about King's admission but I'm sure everything you need to know will be on their website
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:House prices in North Bucks are cheaper ...
With a choice of redundant pubs and most of Milton Keynes, by the looks on Zoopla (says she, ducking for cover :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Milton Keynes is unitary ... its not part of Bucks at all.

I wouldn't hit an Essex girl :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Milton Keynes is unitary ... its not part of Bucks at all.

I wouldn't hit an Essex girl :)
Southend girl, if we're talking Unitary :lol: . We're obviously not as disowned as MK, though, given that various officialdoms here describe themselves as South Essex.
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

[quote="Daogroupie"]If your dd can cope with boys outside school then she can cope with them in school. Sooner or later she will need to learn to deal with them not just run away from the problem. Personally I find girls behave far more stupidly than boys.

EXCUSE ME NO you dont know the circumstances, my daughter was in a state school age 5 and was severley bullied by boys, head smashed against concrete, punched and kicked for several months that I wasnt aware of and it all came to light when two lots of boys put a skipping rope around her neck and played tug of war with her, shes escaped with her life because the bell went and the boys had to drop the rope. ITS A TRAUMA SHE WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM and I dont intend to force it on her due to her suffering. You dont know peoples situations to make such drastic comments.

We are not running away from anything - If you must know I am stuck in a legal case that wont end until the summer which is why I cant just move now.
Last edited by Googley2 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

Personally I find girls behave far more stupidly than boys. Again I have to totally disagree, she is 9 but is so sensible and forward for her age that it is the stupidness of boys in school that makes her not want to mix with them, they destroy so much time in lessons she feels they are wasting her education time and I totally agree even in Independent schools. It is well known that girls mature much quicker than boys are ahead of most education establishments.