It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bad children
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:54 pm 
I have a :twisted: child who lacks motivation :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:27 am 
and........ ?

We 'solved' what I think you mean by finding out what our daughter wanted and helping her... we also had a hard look at ourselves and changed our 'badness'

But I probably don't know what you mean :?:

Post subject: motivation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:41 am 
I must apologise. 'Ashly' is not an anxious parent coaching a child at home (that's me!). He's an extremely competent (when in the mood) 10 year old exercising his 'intelligent’ wit.

I thought leaving him alone for few minutes to view the site was a safe thing to do. Sorry. He is certainly not a ‘bad’ child for lacking motivation , at times, or anything else - including posting a message without my permission!

His first test is quite soon and I’m a tad anxious. Why? Well, he is reluctant to check his answers or whether he has read/answered the questions completely. I constantly remind him to do so. 8/10 times he would have got the question right first time!

Perhaps I should stop flapping. He’s just turned 10 and copes well with 11+ material and Bond Assessment tests – the most challenging I think.

Furthermore, I should keep in mind that it is his dream that I’m striving to fulfil and not necessarily my own – a tricky and often avoided issue with many parents I think.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:46 pm 
My son has just finished selection process for 11+ and we're waiting for results. In common with most other 10 year-old-boys, he often doesn't check his answers, makes silly mistakes, doesn't read the question. It might reassure you that in my experience most 10/11 year-old boys (not girls) do the same. If he's competing against other boys this might ease your concerns a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:48 am 
Thank you. I am somewhat reassured yet still a little anxious – natural I guess.

Good luck with the results.

Post subject: Re: Bad children
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:19 pm 
Ashly wrote:
I have a :twisted: child who lacks motivation :oops:
Who is the Child :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:30 am 
I'm not sure what you mean by "who is the child", but I would refer you to the 3rd posting. I think this explains things a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 am 

It may be too late, but if there is still time try bribery. Give Ashley a test with say £1 reward for each point over his normal result. Afterwards you go through and show him where he lost out. Then after he has recovered you give him another test. Same reward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:36 pm 
No, it’s not too late. You have a point; “bribery” although I prefer to say “incentives” does work. The novelty of little gifts/treats tends to wear off very quickly though. We’ve had a little study break to recharge both our batteries. I will give £££ a try when we resume. I think it might just work. Many thanks!