DIY tutoring year 4 - The School Run website

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum-of-two

DIY tutoring year 4 - The School Run website

Post by mum-of-two »

Hi all

My DS is entering year 4 in September and I am thinking of some small steps in his preparation for 11 plus. He attends an independent school so already has some focus on this but I wanted to start getting him into the framework of extra studying at home too.

From my research I have gleamed year 4 should be fairly light, with the focus on making the foundations as solid as possible so am going to be working on: times tables recall, reading, comprehension, spelling, mental maths and word problems (max 1/2 hour a night in addition to his school homework).

My issue is resources for this - I can get books for each area of work but I have seen a website called 'The School Run' which claims to have worksheets for all these areas and more and is only £130 for 7 years membership which would see DS for the remainder of his primary years and also help my DD who is going into Year 2 in September. I do think I will use a tutor for year 5 to take the lead on the prep but dont see it as necessary at this stage?

Does anyone have any experience of using this site and do they recommend it? Or if anyone has any other sites they use for worksheets/exercises I would be grateful for recommendations.

Regards
mum-of-two
PurpleDuck

Re: DIY tutoring year 4 - The School Run website

Post by PurpleDuck »

I tried some subscription websites in the past and concluded they were a waste of money as they didn't really suit my DCs and we always went back to books. I never heard of the website you've mentioned, but £130 seems like way too much and why would they want you to pay or a 7 years membership in advance?

Personally, I would not go for it, but having looked at their website, they some free resources to download as well as a 14-day trial period for just £1.97. If I were you, I would get all the free materials first and see how good they are and then go for the trial period and based on that, you would have a good idea of whether what they offer would be suitable for your DCs.

I have found the website below very good - loads of free, printable maths work sheets (and answers, too) which can be searched by topic, so very easy to find what you need. I think they are based in Canada, but it never made any difference to us. There is no need to subscribe, just go on the website, find what you need and print it out. http://www.math-drills.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Where are you based? I suggest you tailor your preparation to the exam formats of the schools you are going to be applying for. DG
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Thanks - we are Yorkshire. 2 schools are joined for exams (Maths, English and VR) and the other is similar (although very secretive at the moment about type)! I dont want to overload DS in year 4 - he is doing well at school and so I just need to reaffirm the foundations at least for the first part of Yr 4.

I'll keep looking for the freebie sites then... there are a few but it's just finding the right ones at the right levels that's time consuming!
mum-of-two
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

mum-of-two wrote:Thanks - we are Yorkshire. 2 schools are joined for exams (Maths, English and VR) and the other is similar (although very secretive at the moment about type)! I dont want to overload DS in year 4 - he is doing well at school and so I just need to reaffirm the foundations at least for the first part of Yr 4.

I'll keep looking for the freebie sites then... there are a few but it's just finding the right ones at the right levels that's time consuming!
I would get the freebies from 'The School Run' first, and in any case you can download loads of stuff from them during a 14-day trial period for less than £2 - have a look at the trial terms and conditions. I would probably sign up for two weeks and download everything that's available within that period. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I have a subscription for the site you mentioned. It is a complete waste of money/time if you are seeking material suitable for 11+.