Fringe Skills

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pinkrabbit38

Re: Fringe Skills

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

scary mum wrote:I can't begin to tell you what someone I know found in a boot hung up on her son's wall when he went to university :mrgreen:
(Maybe this should be in rehab?)
Some years ago I completely forgot to empty my son's school bag during the Christmas holidays, round about March time a strange smell started to emanate from said bag. I cautiously delved into the bag and found a plastic bag containing mush, a red ribbon and some cocktail sticks....on questioning my son we finally worked out that this was the remains of his Christingle made some 4 months before!!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We've had one coming and going all summer (about-to-start-second-year-university teen, not decayed orange, I mean). Sometimes accompanied by delightful but peanut-allergic girlfriend, which occasions much overhauling of the 'things to put on toast' shelf - the obvious item being retired for the duration and fresh butter and a new pot of jam found, since DD in particular is rather partial to 'PBJ' and I am not one to encourage more washing up than is strictly necessary, if you see what I mean :lol: .

Balancing this, we have DD, who went to stay overnight at a friend's house the Saturday before last and eventually allowed herself to be collected on the Tuesday night . Apparently, the friend's 8 year old sibling didn't want her to leave :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

equilibro wrote:As we head towards E(xam) day, can you add to this list of fringe skills that my DC has been honing to an ever higher level with each session of help/tutoring that they undertake with me?

1. Pencil dropping on the floor;
2. Rubber dropping on the floor;
3. Turner Prize level pencil doodling on their rubber;
4. Oscar winning yawning;
5. Asking for another drink;
6. Going to the toilet again;
7. Saying that they're too hot;
8. Saying that they're too cold;
9. Asking for the window to be opened;
10. Asking for the window to be closed;
11. Saying that the fridge in the kitchen is making that funny buzzing noise again;
12. Saying that their school doesn't teach them to do multiplication/division/pencil holding/line drawing/etc./etc. that way;
13. All other forms of creative time-wasting.

Oh the "joy" that we shall no longer have to endure once E day has been and gone !! :-)
Hilarious!
I think mine have covered the lot! My eldest said he couldn't concentrate during a test at home due to the birds tweeting outside. We explained that there would be more than lovely tweeting during the real exam and that he needed to focus on the test. Then he went to a mock and gave me a lot of detail on what was going on! So, again we had to tell him to focus on his paper and not the children. He did focus when it mattered, though. I do hope that my second one does not lose his pencil or rubber too often. I did time him once with a stopwatch showing him how long he had spent picking up his various things. It'll be over soon, thank God.

Salsa