Age limit for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shaista.mohamed

Age limit for 11+

Post by shaista.mohamed »

Hi. My daughter is currently home educated and turned 10 in June 2016. Is it possible for her to sit for the 11+ next year in 2016?
hermanmunster

Re: Age limit for 11+

Post by hermanmunster »

If she turned 10 in June 2016 she would be expected to take the exam in this term ie September / October 2016
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Different schools have different rules but all would probably want to know why she was taking the 11+ a year 'late'. What area of the country are you in, and what schools are you targeting?
shaista.mohamed

Post by shaista.mohamed »

Thank you so much for your replies. The only reason is that we missed the deadline due to lack of information. We are in Redbridge borough and therefore are aiming for Woodford County.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I would doubt that any school would let her sit an entire year late (and therefore be in the "wrong" year group) purely because you were unaware of when the tests were. However I suppose they might let her sit as a late entry this year? It would be worth contacting the school maybe but I don't know the school in question and have no idea how lenient they would be.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Unfortunately it appears that they are not accepting late applications

http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/childr ... ction.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Registration was open between 1 May 2016 and closed at 5pm on 30 June 2016 for Ilford County High School for boys and Woodford County High School for girls. The date of the Redbridge 11 plus selection test is Saturday 10 September 2016.

Registration

You would have received an email with a reference number to confirm that you have registered; if you did not receive an email, it means we did not receive the registration (check your Junk or Spam email folders)
No late registrations will be accepted for 2017.
- See more at: http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/childr ... up17O.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In that case, I guess you will have to wait and apply for an in-year space, if one comes up, once they have all started next year.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Make sure you do not miss out on applying to secondary school. The form has to be sent in by October 31st which is six weeks time.

If you decide to take charge of your dds education at home rather than sending her to school then you need to stay informed about key dates and deadlines. There is no lack of information, it is all over the Redbridge website and that of all the individual schools. Open days have been held and advertised.

You might want to consider applying for a bursary at one of your local private schools. Again applications close end of November so you need to be on the case now. Exams are in January so that is plenty of time to prepare. Open days are now so you need to do your research.. Good luck. There is plenty of information to help you on this site. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now