To tutor or not to Tutor??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and inspiring experience. I am also feeling the very same guilt and messages like yours are just the encouragement that I need. May your good fortune continue.
Ange Fairy

Guilt!!

Post by Ange Fairy »

I am delighted to hear that the last two guests have had a very positive experience of tutoring their own children and, in my opinion, you should not feel guilty about not employing a tutor. The pressure upon parents to do what everyone else is doing is phenomenal and the only way to bring up your child is by doing your best in your own way. We can only make choices based upon the information to hand at the time, whether the choice is later found to be correct or not.

I do hope, however, that, having enjoyed helping your own children, you do not now feel that tutors are a waste of time. Many parents do actually feel the need for the support of a tutor (and their reasons are as diverse as the needs of their children themselves). As a tutor, I can only emphasise that it is my aim to provide an enjoyable experience for my pupils whilst hopefully increasing their knowledge and confidence in a very competitive arena. For instance, this week, whilst continuing to work very hard, we are having great fun dressing up to raise money for Comic Relief. Tutors are not all money-grabbing, lazy and exploitative; we do actually care a great deal about providing a positive educational environment for your children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now