To tutor or not to Tutor??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

1 hour a week is the norm. Our son's tutor started off giving him very small amounts of homework but this gradually built up and 3 months prior to the tests he was doing around 2.5 hours per week in addition to the hour with the tutor. This wasn't a problem as his school gives virtually no homework at all so he could fit it all in. If his school had also been giving him homework this could have caused difficulties. It most definitely was worth it.

Post by Guest »

Am I right in thinking that when it comes to test content, format, tips, tips and more tips, tutors have ‘insider’ knowledge. Would this not be the greatest benefit of having a tutor over a parent who is working independently with their child?

I’m going it alone but now seriously considering a tutor for this very reason.
Onto my second child

Tips?

Post by Onto my second child »

You have to look at this in the context of what the task is rather than the theoretical basis of hiring a tutor.

The fact is that you are educating your child in PRIMARY education for a ten year old, nothing more demanding than that.

How much more a tutor can add over and above your child’s form teacher plus your input is questionable, and probably not likely to generate the bang for your buck when you engage a tutor at between 10-25 pounds an hour, twice a week, for 10 months.

For instance there are at most 26 subjects to cover in Mathematics (Time, Distance, Area, Fractions etc), 22 Subjects in Verbal Reasoning (Missing Letters, Complete a Sequence etc) and so on. Being realistic how many “tips” can you think of that a tutor can bring to the table that is worth the investment of hiring a tutor.

Thus banging on about “tips, tips, tips” is I feel outside the postcode of the task at hand.

Anyway, good luck!

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your response, although it sounded like my message irritated you – it shouldn’t have. I certainly wasn’t “banging” on about tips or anything else so I don’t know what’s wrong with you on that account.

I might be a parent (1 child) who is new to this territory but I’m not completely ignorant or naïve. I’m aware of the range of subjects and the contribution of others (i.e. form teacher).

Tutors are viewed quite favourably, on this site and elsewhere, and I am simply trying to ascertain the various reasons – theoretical or otherwise - why people opt for one.
Onto my second child

Tips, tips and more tips

Post by Onto my second child »

No irritation, or offence taken. It is a decision not to be taken lightly

Last year I know of six parents who attempted, without tutoring, to help their child gain entry into the top grammar school in the UK (according to one national broadsheet, Daily Telegraph, the school was Queen Elizabeth School for Boys in Barnet). They all independently approached the task in a calm and measured fashion (five mums and one dad), all of reasonable intelligence and all started approximately nine months ahead of the first examination. Five out of six gained an offer when the results were announced, and the sixth boy gained entry via the reserve list. They all had a very positive ‘bonding’ experience with their sons. With hindsight one parent reflected that they were glad that the had that bonding time, as her son has now matured to a stage where he is less reliant on his parents and his friends, social and education has taken centre stage.

Two parents that I consulted about tutors when I set sail last year had mixed results, one had gained a place in their daughter’s second choice school and another abandoned their son midway ‘due to other commitments’.

As for me, my son applied to three senior independent schools for September 2005 and the results this week was an offer from all three schools. I do appreciate though that the competition for grammar schools is significantly harder, hence my example above.

At the end of the day I feel the task is entirely manageable without a tutor with forward planning, a bit of research and application.

I suppose to some extent I am playing the devil’s advocate in this forum.

I do not object to tutoring per se, however I note above as one person observed, if tutoring raises your child to his/her potential then all well and good, however if it temporarily propels them above their station then in effect the tutor has greased a round peg into a square hole, sooner or later your child will be off the saddle.

There is always a third way, part tutor part parental guidance?

Post by Guest »

I agree with the "third way". We had a tutor for 2 years to ensure our child was up-to-speed with and got plenty of revision on the syllabus itself. We then did practice papers with our child to get into the swing of it. The tutor then helped with the questions we were unable to properly explain! We are currently awaiting result.
Blame

Post by Blame »

My own personal experience only, but I taught my daughter for reasoning tests. I won't know till March 1'st how successfully.

It was a bonding experience for us too. It did no harm that I started by taking a test while my daughter timed me. After that my respect for her task was considerable.

Before I had a suspicion she might be bright, but no evidence from her school work. After I was certain that I had one very clever daughter, and just as importantly she was convinced too!

After the tests we took a long rest and then started on maths. Teaching her has become a habit we don't want to break. My personal goal is to get her up to key stage 3 before she starts her new school. We will see.

Post by Guest »

Many thanks for the message posted by “Onto my second child”. You have done extremely well with your son and I congratulate you both.

I totally agree that it is a decision not to be taken lightly, which is why I considered the tutor option even though I’m totally in favour of approaching the task independently. Over the past 3 months I have demonstrated the competence and willingness to do the necessary preparation and will continue to work with my child.

Playing the devil’s advocate is not a bad thing, it provides us all with good food for thought.
Fairy

Engaging tutors

Post by Fairy »

:D

Having just discovered this website, I have been very interested to read all the postings with regard to engaging tutors. I have been a full-time tutor for approximately seven years and, if I have learned nothing else, I have learned how emotive the subject of 11+ examinations is.

I live in an area where all children take the 11+ examination, unless the parents actively withdraw their child. However, the schools are not supposed to prepare the children for the exam as the results are supposed to reflect their natural ability. Notwithstanding the naivety of this statement, I find it impossible to accept that entrants for this exam are being tested without officially having the opportunity to prepare.

Parents would almost certainly wish for their child to be prepared for an exam they are likely to take and, as such, are left with very difficult choices. My own children have gone through this system and my husand and I felt capable of preparing them for the exam, but, for whatever reasons, many parents do not feel that they are able to tutor their own children. I applaud those parents who can and do tutor their own children, but also feel that parents have a right to choose to have their children tutored by someone who has been trained in the necessary skills.

Personally, as a tutor, I consider that I have a great responsibility to both the children and their parents to provide academic and pastoral support, in order to make the preparation period a positive experience whatever the outcome of the exam itself.

Happy preparation, Ange
Guest22

To Tutor or not to Tutor

Post by Guest22 »

My son has just done his eleven plus exam this year, for months I agonised over whether to send him to a special tutor, there is so much pressure on parents and kids these days. I spoke to his teachers who advised against a tutor so I bought some practice papers and set to work with him at home. He did a couple of the papers and then we went over any problem areas together. My son enjoyed working at home with me in a relaxed atmosphere and I learned quite a bit on the way!!!! I have felt really guilty over the past few weeks for not sending him to a tutor, as I kept hearing about all the children that have been, I thought maybe I hadn’t given him the best chance. Anyway we just got the results this week he got a 123 and two 140’s and a place at Grammar School. I am glad I listened to the teachers and didn’t waste my money or more importantly my son’s time with tutors. I also know that he will settle and cope well in his new school as he gained a place under his own steam.