Grammar School Vs State Outstanding non selective Schools ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rsuk1995

Grammar School Vs State Outstanding non selective Schools ?

Post by rsuk1995 »

Dear Parents and Moderators

Please advice What is major difference between Grammar School vs Local Outstanding Schools?.
Is there any difference in Curriculum between local outstanding school and Grammar school ?

My DD Passed Grammar school exam , but we are out catchment. My Question is Most of my friends says Grammar school is Great and state schools or bad.

Is it worth moving house for the sake of Grammar school which is around 1 hour journey to go ? or Choose Local outstanding School.

Worried parent
You suggestion is much appreciated.
Tinkers

Re: Grammar School Vs State Outstanding non selective School

Post by Tinkers »

Grammar schools are state schools. They all do more or less the same GCSEs etc.

If you live close to an outstanding comprehensive school that you like and feel is a good fit for your child, then it is always going to be a better bet over a grammar school that is a long way away and /or you need to move for.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

The difference is one is selective (grammar) and one is not (comp).

They are both state schools and as such will broadly follow the same curriculum - details / differences can be found in prospectus / open days etc.

You mention about moving - you have missed the cut off date for moving to be considered in the first round of allocations for Bucks grammar schools - previous years allocation profiles will give you a feel for subsequent offers etc. As you have said elsewhere you are unlikely to be offered any Bucks school on distance, which you would have know before sitting the Bucks test.

Personally if you have an outstanding school on your doorstep I would go for that but as ever put your choices in the order you actually want them - but be realistic about your chances. Also the Bucks schools are some distance from you - how would your dc get to and from school for 7 years?

Obviously it is all personal choice but these are some of the things I would suggest considering.
rsuk1995

Post by rsuk1995 »

Thank you very much for your time. I also feel outstanding school near doorstep is better than 1 hour drive t grammar school.
There is lot of social pressure from family friends suggesting us to move near bucks catchment area before Dec-16. To be considered for 2nd round.
My debate is same as suggested by you , better to go local outstanding school near doorstep with not moving house .

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is absolutely no guarantee you will get a Bucks place even if you move ... go for the certain option.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rsuk1995 wrote:Thank you very much for your time. I also feel outstanding school near doorstep is better than 1 hour drive t grammar school.
There is lot of social pressure from family friends suggesting us to move near bucks catchment area before Dec-16. To be considered for 2nd round.
My debate is same as suggested by you , better to go local outstanding school near doorstep with not moving house .

Thanks again for your suggestion.
If your local school is a good one and (most importantly) somewhere that you and your DD feel that she would be happy, then if I were you, I would stand your ground and stay put. I'm all for children being a collective responsibility, but at the end of the day, it's your decision to make, not that of extended family, however much you may all love each other. A significant house move now would presumably also involve a change of primary school for your DD, splitting her off prematurely from the friends she has made over the years. Even if she didn't have to change schools, the extra travelling would probably have some impact.

Perhaps I'm just pathetic when it comes to moving house, but it all just feels very rushed to me; in terms of finding a house that you really like (even if you are renting rather than buying), getting your current house sorted out, etc, December 16th really doesn't seem that far away.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The date to move for the first round was October 1st - you are already too late for that.

Where does December come from?
rsuk1995

Post by rsuk1995 »

Thanks All
Hi Guest 55, I have been told by friend that if we move house before Dec-16.Bucks council Consider for 2nd round of allocation.
rsuk1995

Post by rsuk1995 »

Thanks ToadMum :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

rsuk1995 wrote:Thanks All
Hi Guest 55, I have been told by friend that if we move house before Dec-16.Bucks council Consider for 2nd round of allocation.
Yes but there's a huge risk there won't be any places left. It's a massive gamble ...

All places were allocated on March 1st this year and very few were given in the later rounds.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now