Second Stages Grammar tests

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grgygirl

Second Stages Grammar tests

Post by grgygirl »

I was just musing today about second stage grammar tests and wondering whether they really are necessary. The standard of some of the questions seems very high, even for the above average, 10 year old. QE/Birmingham etc manage to churn out very academic kids in all subjects from a one stage testing process so I wonder why Sutton, Olaves etc need to go to a second stage? Doubly annoying as you don't know whether you're 'in' either until March which prolongs the stress.
hanaF

Re: Second Stages Grammar tests

Post by hanaF »

I think it is more like schools don't have resources to mark 1200+ writing papers so they have to reduce the number in some way, hence the two-stage test.

Olaves used to give out 'likely' 'possibly' letters, don't know why they stopped doing that. Even though nobody knows for sure what the competition looks like until everyone has submitted the application, at least that gives parents some sort of indication. Don't know if it's just my inexperience, but the competition seems to be very fierce for both state grammars and good comps in London this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now