what should I do !

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mpsv

what should I do !

Post by mpsv »

We live in a catchment for a outstanding grammar school in Wiltshire but hubby always works away. We decided to stay here as we had a little boy and she was in yr 4 and we thought we will try schools that accept out of catchment students and move after she gets a space. As the exam systems are different I am not sure should I focus on this grammar school or prep her for grammar school outside.

the negative effect I don't want her end up being stressed and not able to cope this. She is academically very able and as she is august born I thought she will stand a chance.
scary mum

Re: what should I do !

Post by scary mum »

I'm not clear what you are saying or asking. Sorry if I'm being dense. Are you asking if you should move or whether it is best to stay put & only aim for one grammar school? I'm not sure what the August bit is about? If it is a school that uses age standardisation that shouldn't matter. I've never understood people moving their family for an unknown school. To me it appears to put huge pressure on that child to succeed (academically). Also, what are the implications for your other child? Does it have to be a grammar school or do you have other good local schools?
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You might be able to do the same preparation for both schools.

What is the exam format of the local school you know about? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Remember that moving at any point will mean applying for an in-year place for either your DS (if the is already in school) if you literally wait until your DD has finished summer term of year 6, or for both children, if you decide to get her settled in in the area which you have picked for her to go to secondary school in.

You asked all this a few months ago, but presumably didn't decide to act then?

To be honest, however bright your DD is, a grammar school place can never be a given, especially when anywhere else you are able to consider with your 'move when she gets in' strategy would be a school which could have the brightest children from hundreds of schools all over the country competing for places.

I'm not sure that Wiltshire, nice as it is, would be my choice of location if I worked in London (does the situation you mentioned in earlier threads still obtain?), but presumably it's something which at some stage you decided did suit you. As you do have a grammar school available locally - whether a superselective or giving preference to local applicants(?) - does your DD really feel that she needs to make such a 'clean break' of the move to secondary school that she wants to move completely away from the area and all her friends?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now