The day is fast approaching and my daughter is losing it!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Thanks Bexley Mum. I think the idea of just talking certain things through from time to time is a good one and would probably work best with dd. She took 11+ state exams in October so we've been going on with this for a long time now as all the independents are in January. We're in North London and it's so competitive for state grammars and independents you just really want to do the right thing to enable her to do her best and I do find it difficult to judge. And then, if she does well enough, we've got the interviews to think about!!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Dear herewegoagain. It's a nightmare isn't it? Son No.2 did the Bexley 11+ in November, is doing the Kent 11+ on 12 Jan (see the Kent section for all the angst that is causing me) and has an independent test the day before on 11 Jan. Given the anxious nature of Son No. 2 I thought I needed a couple of safety nets in case nerves got the better of him in the Bexley tests. He seemed to cope with them OK, but of course it would be tempting fate to say he doesn't need to go through with the others!

I've no experience of independent school interviews but I know I ought to be trying to get him to engage with a few topical news items. But for a boy who only ever watches the Simpsons I'm not sure how to start a conversation about what's happening in Pakistan! I also ought to be thinking how to get him to reply to questions without saying, "dunno" or shrugging his shoulders .....

Having worked myself into a complete frenzy in November for the Bexley tests I feel completely switched off now. Still it will soon be over......
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as a parent (2 children through kent test, now 19 and 15)

and a tutor I must say that I would not be piling on teh pressure now.

abit like marathon runners in teh week before the run, ease back on teh training and concentrate on having rest, good nutrition and making sure you are ready..

My final lessons are just going over 'sticky' areas, answering any questions and boosting confidence
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My daughter sat the Medway test in November (and was successful) and is sitting the Kent test next week.

As November was a successful outcome, I can only follow the same routine again for this one. The last practice paper was done a week before the test. Every night after school was relaxed, no late nights, we sat and read a few of her stories/letters etc she had written during tutor sessions building up her confidence. We went through exam techniques: timing, when to guess etc, what happens if your pencil breaks!

Also we talked about what would happen if one of her friends became upset or sick during the exam, I explained that she could put her hand up to draw attention to the problem and then get on with her work, that her friend would be looked after and not to get distracted.

I also picked out her best scores on practice papers and showed her how well she had done, how proud we was of her REGARDLESS of the outcome and that she should be very proud of herself.

Fingers crossed for this time, although the Kent school is our second choice, there is a possibility we may not get our first. Good luck to all of the kids!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now