Head Teacher's right to overturn a 11+ pass

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Road Runner

mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

Someone I know (not a friend) told me once when we were talking about our children that her daughter gained entry to a GS although she hadn't passed the 11+. She didn't haveto appeal because the head sorted it for them.

Now at the time it didn't mean a lot to me. She only mentioend it because I was asking her what the school in question was like and she was saying how grateful she was her daughter was there because ..........

Next time I speak with her though (we go to the same gym) I will ask and see what I can find out.

Ooh I feel like Private Eye!!

Mel
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Mel - don't forget your dark glasses and hidden recording equipment! :lol: :lol: :lol:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Assuming this is Bucks? When did this child gain entry?

Some time ago there used to be a review stage before the appeals. Heads would would recommend children who closely missed the magic 121. They would fill out a review form, backed up with relevant evidence of academic achievement. A panel [ parents would not attend ] made the decision whether the child should be offered a grammar place. If the answer was no, the parents then had the right to go to the next stage, the appeal as we see it now.

This review stage is no longer in existance in Bucks.

Patricia
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi All,

The reason I asked the original question was due to the changes coming to Bexley this September.

Parents of children in years 4 and 5 (who have not been through the system) and who are doing quite nicely in English and Maths assume that their kids will go to a grammar.

But from Sept only VR and NVR will be tested and there will be no familiarisation tests. Most parents in my area do not know what VR is let alone NVR.
So I forsee huge complaints about the new testing which won't necessarily put the top 25% of the classes through. It will put the top 25% with the highest IQ and that's not the same.

There will be lots of kids who throw up surprises when they pass the 11+ yet are not currently at the top of the class. This will catch many teachers out too. There will be a lot of appeals and, here in Bexley, the vast majority of them are unsuccessful.

Would a Head

1. appeal for a child who has always been top of the class in Eng/Maths?

2. override a 11+ pass (VR/NVR) due to the child being a lower level in Eng/Maths? However grammar school places will be awarded as a result of VR/NVR rather than excelling in Eng/Maths.

Problems in Sept? I think so!
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

Tracy

This is an interesting point.

I'm sure you're right that the 25% with the highest IQ are not always in the highest 25% in the class and vice versa. But why not? Is it due to ability to concentrate in class, parental support, extra tuition etc?

Which type of child is better suited to a grammar school - clever ones or those working hard at age 10/11? I presume a clever child will remain that way until age 18, but aptitude to work could change dramatically with age and maturity.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi L Bexley,

I enquired with the council about these very points. I asked directly what would happen when a child working at solid level 5s failed the 11+, yet went on to actually produce those high 5s in the SATs. Council replied that they would still deem the child to be non-selective as IQ is measured by VR and NVR. Any appeal for a grammar place would fail but the child could go on to take the 12+ and be placed on a grammar's waiting list if successful.

In Bexley we do not measure VR and NVR until the actual 11+ so this is going to be a shock for all concerned.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Update

Bexley Council has just announced that the 2 tests will now be VR and Maths not NVR. The tests will be held on 16 and 17 Sep 08.